Anyone else going mad with waiting?

• 10 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Anyone else going mad with waiting?
« on: March 02, 2024, 12:36 »
Another grey sodden day here and chilly as well.  Seed sowing itchy fingers going mad, but I can’t honestly see the point of pressing on too fast.

I have chillies, peppers and a few dwarf toms going inside, plus onions and early cabbage in the greenhouse.  I must have checked all my seeds half a dozen times.  I’ve been through my labels and used the label printer to create any new ones.  I’m even thwarted from setting up the seed sprouter for alfalfa and the like because DIY means my houseplants are jostling for space everywhere safe for them to be i.e. well away from OH and him working  :lol:

I did manage to purchase bags of John Innes for repotting all my outdoor succulents this week from a shop that had them under cover, so they are not just bags of mud.  The succulents are sheltering in the greenhouse to stay out of the rain, but we are forecast very low overnight temperatures this weekend and I don’t want to risk messing with them until things improve a bit.

Deep sighs and eye rolling around here, but it can’t go on much longer … can it  ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 12:38 by New shoot »

Hampshire Hog

Re: Anyone else going mad with waiting?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 13:39 »
I’m with you New shoot.
The weather here in Hampshire means I haven’t been able to clear up fully from last season let alone prepare the ground for this and sow seeds. The allotment is very wet at present. I need a week or two of dry weather before I will attempt to dig beds. I must get on with sowing some tomatoes but that’s about it.
Keep digging

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 15:09 »
Same here. Our site in Bradford is waterlogged.   The paths are like a river going down to the bottom of the site.
I have chillies, sweet peppers and aubergines in the propagator, onions from seed in a pot and that is it.
The garlic is through at the allotment in a new very deep bed, so thankfully not waterlogged.  I have shallots in and field beans coming through, seem ok so far.  The asparagus bed is under water at one end.
Just looking at all the seeds again....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 18:29 by AnneB »

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 17:06 »
The only thing that I would consider planting on my plot at the moment would be rice  :D
Even the ducks are sick of it now :(
On a more positive note there is frogspawn in the pond and some of the hawthorn buds have came into leaf, very few but they are there.
It has been a very long wet spell of weather that's for sure  >:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 17:44 »
I've been digging the greenhouse borders and was surprised just how wet the soil is, even in there  :ohmy: I suppose it just wicks in from the soil outside.
I bought a Deadfast candle to burn, but I've nowhere to put the tender plants that are in there, as you have to remove live plants before burning the candle  ::) I don't really want to bring them into the house as that might start them growing too soon....

I can see it's all going to be a last minute rush job... nothing new there then  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 17:47 »
Me too, I’ve still not sowed anything, too bitterly cold to contemplate even filling pots in the shed & bringing in the conservatory to fill, but I’m going to try tomorrow if it’s even a hint of sunshine. They’ll all have to go in the heated propagator. ( how do you spell that, I can never get it !)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 21:49 »
Not doing too bad, I've been raking the beds to smooth out the compost I put on them in winter and just moved all my module trays of salads and early brassicas into the greenhouse to grow on. Greenhouse has just produced the second salad of the year and I planted some radish modules to fill the spaces left by a couple of lettuce that died over winter. Sowed celery and celeriac today inside and will plan my tomatoes this week to sow next week. Chillis are growing under lights.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:46 »
I was going to sow some sugar snaps but decided not to as I know later sown things will catch up with the early ones and produce better and stronger plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 13:06 »
Waiting! What's waiting?  :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 13:36 »
Waiting! What's waiting?  :lol: :lol:

:lol:

I’ve just been reading your diary Andy and your latest seed sowing and potato planting exploits  :lol:  I don’t heat my greenhouse, so until it warms up a bit, I’m limited to how much I can do.  OH gets unexplainably annoyed when I cover every surface inside the house with plant pots and seed trays.  Dunno wot his problem is  :unsure:  :nowink:  :lol:

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 15:56 »
Just back from allotment (maintenance on sheds and stuff not digging) as lovely in the sun but frost overnight and my thoughts turned to seed planting as all pots clean and ready but still think too cold in cold greenhouse. Weather is set to improve this week (allegedly) so i'll be going for it then. Limited space to start anything indoors, spuds chitting and onions in modules in greenhouse ok but really need to sort new raised beds as asparagus crowns and strawberry plants due this month but soil is too wet  :ohmy:

xx
still waiting for PSB...

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 16:29
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Waiting .....

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 13:10
by Lady Lottie
xx
It's worth waiting for.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 01:02
by Dora5
xx
Waiting Game

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 10:07
by madcat

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 49 queries.