Wartime fish...

• 0 Replies

Growster...

Wartime fish...
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:19 »
I'm reading the book about 'Dad's Army',. by Graham McCann, as we've been watching the whole series - again, recently.

One of the passages discussed in the book, is where Capt. Mainwaring gets riled at Sergeant Wilson being a member of the golf club, where he had some smoked salmon for lunch, and Mainwaring shrieks that he's been trying to get membership there for years and that he only had a snoek fishcake at 'The British Restaurant' in Walmington-on-sea!

Now, being somewhat inquisitive (even at 10.00pm), I realised I hadn't a clue what 'snoek' was, and imagined it to be some sort of mishmash of plankton, whelks and quorn (?), so looked it up!

What a great fish it is! It's a delicacy in South Africa, and I hope you won't mind me cross-posting a fabulous culinary website from a lady who really knows these things! She also gets a lot of the history of the fish into her post, which seems to ring true with our way of life these days!

https://www.cooksister.com/2006/12/snoek_scrumptio.html?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=email_this&utm_source=email

I've never had snoek - has anyone here?

(I recommend the book too - it's well written, and very informative)!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:26 by Growster... »

xx
Fish

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2022, 14:15
by jezza
xx
Michael Fish's big day...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2018, 06:41
by Growster...
xx
How to divide a fish and chip order...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2017, 18:42
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 29 queries.