Organic Allotment Gardening - Your defination

• 20 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 21:43 »
I once heard a story about what I think was called a Bean Locust in China that was growing at epidemic proportions because they just kept throwing more and more chemicals at it and they were destroying all of their crops.  In the end it killed the predatory insects which would have killed them off naturally and the locust became immune to the chemical and so money was thrown at it for nothing.  They eventually learnt to stop using the chemical and bring back the natural predatory insects and the numbers of the Locust shrank and everyone was happy again.  Apparently farmers in this country are encouraged to grow plants around their fields to encourage predatory insects and are given money to do so.

I think really the whole point of growing your own veg is to avoid these chemicals in the first place.  To know what goes on your veg is important I think.
Teen

matron

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 22:08 »
I did find that using ash from my coal fire around my beans kept slugs at bay because they don't like the rough feeling.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 00:58 »
I did find that using ash from my coal fire around my beans kept slugs at bay b

You must have some really softie slugs your way. London slugs would laugh at a pile of ash. "Oh look, they're tarmacing the road to the restraunt"

matron

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 10:05 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
I did find that using ash from my coal fire around my beans kept slugs at bay b

You must have some really softie slugs your way. London slugs would laugh at a pile of ash. "Oh look, they're tarmacing the road to the restraunt"

Ah well, country bumpkins and all that. What's tarmac???????  :roll:  :wink:

weeeed

organic
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 10:51 »
Read Edwin Oxlade's article in April's edition of Kitchen Garden. I think he' covers the subject perfectly and I couldn't have said it better myself! My friends get fed up of me going on about the stupidity of all this political correctness and this chap covers it beautifully :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 10:22 »
On the subject of slugs and organic there is now an organic slug pellet which is certified organic by the organic farmers and growers (the next biggest assoc after the soil assoc)

ADVANCED SLUG KILLER

The slug pellets we've all been waiting for. Safe for children and pets, birds, hedgehogs and other wildlife - killing only slugs and snails.
After remaining effective for several weeks in both wet and dry conditions, the pellets based on ferrous phosphate will break down to iron and phosphate nutrients as part of garden soil.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1821 you can get it from the Organic Gardening Catalogue but shop around i have got it much cheaper from my local garden centre about the same price for the bigger size
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

xx
Organic or 'conventional' gardening?

Started by jackiestagg on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 02:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic Lawn

Started by tribs on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 21:09
by JimB
xx
Is there an organic way of getting rid of ants?

Started by jacnal on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 15:15
by compostqueen
xx
Organic weed killer

Started by pumpkinpatch on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 11:34
by Ice

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.