Large soil clumps

• 7 Replies

Batesy

Large soil clumps
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:27 »
Hi all,

Quick question from a newbie. What's the best way to deal with large clumps of dirt? The plot that I have is very clay soil (although it's been very well looked after for years). When preparing the plot for my first early potatoes I was using a fork to thin out the soil, but this resulted in a collection of large clumps of dry soil at the ends of each row. Some of these clumps are as hard as rocks. I don't really want to chuck them on the compost, so is it just a case of breaking them up. Also, I haven't yet invested in a proper soil rake (which is why I was using the fork). Would a proper rake be any help?

Thanks for your help

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Large soil clumps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47 »
I find with clay that bashing them with the fork after they have been dug is the best way.  If they have dried and hardened, either wait until after rain, or water them yourself.

I dig with a fork and then use that for the bashing as above, just working over areas as I dig them.  You can get a pretty decent result that way.  I don't have a rake on the plot as I find my soil won't play ball.  Some of the old boys have tined hand pushed cultivators like the piccy below that I borrow sometimes.  They are quite good  :)
cultivator.jpg

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 21:11 »
I let the clumps dry then give them a taste of a heavy stick. Same goes for grass clumps. Beat the soil out, then the rest onto the compost heap. Show no mercy...

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 21:14 »
I stamp on them!  But at 16 stone that may be easier for me than those with a slighter figure! :D

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:45 »
I make sure my 'scoops' are not to thick and then after picking it up I throw it down :)

At the end of season I leave it be: the frost and rain will break down the rest of it, but when I want to plant or sow right away, I stab with my shovel and rake with a 3tooth rake loosely over the top to break it down to very little lumps. The clay needs to be moist to do this, otherwise you get stuck in the big lumps all the time or you're just moving them about.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:58 »
Rakes are for levelling & getting a fine tilth, so you fork is just fine, do as the others suggest or in the bottom of a compost heap if there’s not too many will be good, just make sure the whole heap doesn’t dry out any more, that’s what I did at my old clay allotment site
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 14:23 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:00 »
Maybe I use the wrong term for what I use. Translating through the internet is not always the best choice ;)
It is very efficient for crumbling the top layer and preparing for sowing. I I added a picture.

It's worth a try!
Schermafbeelding 2018-04-26 om 12.57.32.png

Batesy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:54 »
Thanks everyone for your replies. We've had a bit of rain over the last coupel of days so I will spend a few minutes pulverisizing the dirt before I do anything else.

xx
large propagator bench from thermostat & soil cables????

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 20:18
by pookey
xx
big clumps of earth

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 22:12
by Remy
xx
Planting in rows or clumps.

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 16:51
by noshed
xx
Beetroot Seed "clumps"

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 22:57
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.