woody parsnips

• 4 Replies

3759allen

woody parsnips
« on: December 30, 2017, 19:02 »
this year has been the best year for parsnips size and shape so i thought i finally cracked it.

but when i cook them (roast them) they're so chewy yet soft and woody they're almost un edible. they're in a 2ft tall raised bed, the only thing i can think of is that they may dry out although they were nice and lush.

any advice or opinions on whats gone wrong and if there's any seeds that would suit my conditions and prevent them from going woody.

thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: woody parsnips
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:56 »
In my experience, the only time we have had woody parsnips is towards the end of their harvesting period when they are a bit on the old side, or the year we used seed from an F1 variety we let flower the previous season

Have you grown a particularly early-maturing variety?

If you cut out that woody middle you can cook the other parts and eat them. Parsnip mash is delicious with a wodge of butter in it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 16:58 »
i've had a lot going on this year, now got a 6 month old boy. i can't remember what variety i grew now, but was the same as the previous year that were far better.

i leave mine in the ground until needed, i don't find they keep any other way. they've been the same from the first one.

the whole thing seems to be chewy so wouldn't have a lot left.

would you say it's a variety / seed problem, the way i grow them or because they're left in the ground so long?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 17:36 »
Hard to say... if they are same as you have always grown then certainly not the variety after all. Maybe lack of water at a key stage of growing, the weather has been weird this year.

On our plot rats have discovered parsnips are edible, so we had to take all ours up earlier than usual. They usually stand right through to Spring with a little clump of new green leaves

If every year was the same there would be no challenge I guess... and congratulations on your new (ish) little lad too  :D

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 21:19 »
to be honest this is the first year i've had half decent germination and limited forking. so only had a limited crop to taste.

i've also got concerns over the seed supplier that i use, i am changing this year as my confidence is at a low. why i mention seed / variety. i am going to look through for the variety that best suits dry and changeable conditions.

thank you, deffo not so little lol.  i'm hoping the little man will be walking by time it gets busy this year so he can at least amuse himself by digging in the dirt, secretly hoping he might help water and bits.

xx
Woody parsnips

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 19:04
by pa snips
xx
Woody leek

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 22:49
by Vagabond
question
Woody roots

Started by Tommosnr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 20:01
by snowdrops
xx
Woody Swede

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 11:51
by Salmo

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 34 queries.