HIGH'S AND LOW'S

• 28 Replies

Aled

Re: HIGH'S AND LOW'S
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42 »
A big low again this year: Tomatoes very very few, everything else as good as expected, or slightly better.
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 13:08 »
Highs are getting a full allotment  :)
Also potatoes are plentiful and undamaged. Red onions large and shallots grown for the first time are small but lots of them.
Lows are poor germination on lots of direct sown seeds, whether eaten by slugs or just not germinated at all.
Peas were minimal amount but sweet.
If you could eat weeds then I would never need to shop for food again  ;)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 14:20 »

You and me both !!!  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 18:41 »
My seed onions were a disaster this year, and probably due to the the absolutely dreadful compost I bought. In fact seed germination for many veg was subsequently a real chore this year.

On the bright side, my darling old cat suddenly returned home this week, after going missing in action just over a year ago ! Having her chipped proved to be a good idea after all.  :D :) :) Delighted. She's got lots of stories to tell.
Lovely news about your cat!

niclala

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 18:49 »
Just popping out of lurker-dom to say - I LOVE this thread. Just read it and it's put a large smile on my face (especially Juvenal's Luxury Shed and victoria park's prodigal cat).

My first full year as an allomenteer (we were handed a wonderful plot halfway through 2016) has been great - crops or not, I'm absolutely loving growing my own veg and meeting new people on the neighbouring plots.

HIGHS: Beetroot (still lots to come - successfully used Charles Dowding's multiple module planting system - three seeds per module, plant them all in the ground as a group and harvest them in turn taking the biggest from each group each time); dwarf beans (the plants looked awful, but we had lots of beans); borlottis (although nearly lost the lot as a freak gust of wind blew them over at the weekend - they seem to have survived though); nasturtiums; lettuce; sweet peas; parsnips looking good; loads of PSB at the start of the year and new plants going away well now.

LOWS: file under "That'll learn me" - tried two 'unusual' crops, Asparagus Peas and radish Munchen Bier. Asparagus peas have grown, flowered and cropped like a dream; sadly the 'peas' taste like pencil shavings, so the lot will be composted. Munchen bier radish was supposed to flower and the seed pods form the crop - the plants grew absolutely enormous, some flowers, no pods - I got cross and composted the whole lot one day. Garlic - got rust and the bulbs were teeny - taste good though so not a total loss. First batch of beetroot was eaten by slugs, second by pigeons, but have now got absolutely loads at various stages. Gooseberries and blackcurrants - cropped really well, but we were away for two weeks at just the wrong time, so the birds got the harvest. Raspberries - I planted new canes in January, but less than 50% survived. Will replace the missing 50% in the autumn. Carrots - not a one germinated. I've since learned from others that most people struggle with carrots on our site.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 19:35 »
My highs are my cauliflowers football sized,  clean and tight white heads, 1st prize at our veg show, against all the experts who grow for show.

Everything OK really tomato at allottment ravaged by blight is the only disaster.

Just waiting and hoping for an award in the best allottment  (managed silver gilt for last 2 years so fingers crossed)

hanssg

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 23:02 »
GOOD peas, sweat peas, runner beans,chillies,spring onions the best I have ever had. BAD tomatoes worst crop ever putting this down to not seeing the yellow thing in the sky july and august that's Lancashire for you.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 22:45 »
HIGHS:

Quantity of rain=no watering required!
Brilliant soft fruit-raspberries  and blackberries in particular.
Potatoes-Charlotte-great yield. Still waiting to harvest Ambo main crop.

LOWS

Tomatoes-very late and no sign of a glut.
Garlic-too dry early in the season.
Quantity of rain=very prolific weeds.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 18:13 »
Highs
the Best year so far for carrots and parsnips, another very good year for potatoes soft fruit (in the new cage)

lows a very poor year for celery and onions and so far the leeks are not  up to much and refuse to thicken to any degree.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 18:31 »
Low points; Small garlic and onions; lost all early leeks to bolting.

High points; Crimson Crush toms; all types of beans; ridge cucumbers.

Bonus: Being given a small summer house being currently converted to a luxury shed.

I like the sound of a luxury shed, you'll need to share photos of course

We decided to retain the summerhouse look, and cut the shed down by 1-2 feet all round to fit allotment regulations. This involved a great deal of head scratching, swearing, mutual accusation and blaming the tape measure.

But the job finally got done. Timber from the old, dismantled shed is now a large flower trough; a relaxation patio is in place (just out of shot), complete with a sunshade facility.

We shall sit there like lords, the envy of the corrugated iron and Woodbines brigade..

There is even extravagant talk of new folding chairs...with cup holders....

I look forward to next Spring.
DSCN3958.JPG
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 20:09 by juvenal »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 22:48 »
Good thread.

Highs of 2017 - Pumpkins - 2 big and 1 really big.
                       Charlotte spuds
                       Beans - load of dwarf and climbing French Beans , Runners and Borlotti for drying
                       Sweetcorn Earlibird
                       Currants - particularly white currants 4.5 kilos off one bush. Anyone got any recipes?
                       Tomatoes - particularly Sungold
Lows.               Parsnips - awful germination
                       Cabbages - bashed by slugs
                       Fennel - straight to seed even though sowed early July.
                       Kids - smashed some windows twice.
But are we downhearted? Well - yes a bit, but 2018 is another year. Can't wait to get started!

Christine

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 14:38 »
The lowss:
Club root I didn't know about on plot number 2 which is new to me this year has done for the sprouts and calabrese but we did get some red cabbage and some kale.
The raspberry canes on plot number 2 were has beens so have been dug out to clear the space (an easy job considering the lack of roots).
The highs
Peas eventually came good on plot number 1.
Glut of raspberries on plot number 1
Plenty of apples on plot number 1.
Not too many slugs in potatoes and plenty of potatoes on plot number 2.

al78

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 11:54 »

You can eat some weeds (aka native wildflowers). Dandelion leaves are edible, and nettles can be used to make a tea.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 12:24 »
Dandelion leaves are edible, and nettles can be used to make a tea.
I think I'd need to be in the final stages of starvation to fancy either

xx
how high

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 00:04
by billathome65
xx
Peas how high

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 08:17
by DD.
xx
High altitude - Please help - I'm new!

Started by V3G3TABL3 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 22:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Peas-how high?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:44
by peapod

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 49 queries.