Cauliflower heads.

• 8 Replies

arh

Cauliflower heads.
« on: July 02, 2017, 16:25 »
Question? How do you obtain a tight super cauli head, akin to the ones that are in the supermarkets etc. Mine are not tight. in fact they look more like white broccoli than cauliflowers.

spadework

Re: Cauliflower heads.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 17:33 »
Are you using a f1 hybrid variety or open pointed? F1s give the best quality heads. And you have to pick them at just the right time. There is a window of two days at the most. To early and the head is too dense and smaller, too late and it starts getting too open and begins loosing quality.

F1 seed is dearer but the results are worth the extra cost.  :)

arh

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:41 »
Thank you for the reply Spadework, next year I'll find an F1  hybrid variety. arh.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:06 »
Yes, but every one is ready on the same day which suits the commercial growers. Open pollinated varieties are a bit more spread but can still do the same.

Is there a technique for getting them to be ready over 2 or 3 weeks?

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 16:11 »
I've always had great results with Candid Charm.  The caulis aren't giant ones, but a decent size with a lovely tight curd.  They just like very rich soil, and good watering for best results.  I've just folded the outer leaves over the curds on two of mine, as they are about six inches across at the moment, and I don't want the  sun spoiling them and turning them 'pink'.  They should be ready by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

arh

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 16:31 »
Thank you very much for the info Jay, I'll try "Candid Charm" next year. Very rich soil might be a problem though, :lol:, is Candid Charm an F1?, I'm not worried about them all arriving together as I'll only do 6 this time, (next time, :D,)

harry

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 16:44 »
I prefer the Romanesco type cauliflower. However I also grow a cauli called Igloo which gives you 2 or 3 small heads.
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 17:53 »
I'll go along with candid charm F1. I used them this year for the first time and they have been excellent, first class.
The bed was green manured last year with buckwheat and they were planted with plenty of chicken pellets, netted, and left to get on with it. Fertility is the key and I'm sold on them.
No more All Year Round for me.
As with all F1s I try to hone my skills with them, and then try and return to more robust traditional open pollinated plants, as that is my preferred goal. This year I have returned to golden bantam sweet corn and am dual running with sundance F1 that has done so well for me in the last few years. The F1 thing also certainly sorted out my brussels for me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 18:21 by victoria park »

arh

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:25 »
Thank you for the info Victoria, it's taken on board, as it happens it was "All Year Round" that I planted this year. Also, there will be nets on them next year. Please could you tell me what F1 variety of brussels you are growing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:28 by arh »

xx
CAULIFLOWER HEADS

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 21:49
by Tracybutton
xx
Cauliflower heads not showing

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 22:51
by missmoneypenny
question
small cauliflower heads

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 16:32
by boosh
xx
Keeping cream Cauliflower heads!

Started by Maxine Groobey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 06:36
by rikknikk

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 33 queries.