prunung himalayan birch

• 1 Replies

Grubbypaws

prunung himalayan birch
« on: August 08, 2016, 15:09 »
I need to prune my birch which is threatening to take out the telephone line. I quickly popped on line to find out when i could do this but   :unsure:

One site said ' Most landscapers prune trees just before they break dormancy in late winter or early spring, but this timing doesn't work for birch trees. They bleed a heavy flow of sap if pruned when awakening from their winter rest, so the best time to prune birch trees is late summer or early autumn'.

The next site said ' Prune only in the winter or earliest days of spring while it is dormant, to remove dead branches identified in the fall'.

AAAgh!

Can anyone help?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: prunung himalayan birch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 20:09 »
They are one of the earliest trees to break leaf, so the advice is contradictory but sort of makes sense.  Late summer/ early autumn or winter/the very earliest spring days are all times when the sap would not be rising. 

If you prune late summer/early autumn you deprive the tree of the nutrients it would reabsorb from those leaves before they fell.  If you left it until spring and we got a mild spell, the tree might suddenly burst into life and bleed sap from the wounds.  I'd split the difference and prune after leaf fall, but get the job done before mid-Feb  :)

xx
prunung phalaenopsis moth orchid

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2015, 10:35
by sunshineband
xx
Silver Birch Query

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 14:43
by mrs bouquet
xx
Himalayan Sweet Box

Started by Briony on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 16:08
by Briony
xx
Himalayan poppy

Started by wapello on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2017, 22:54
by mrsbean

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.