Newbie Heating Question

• 6 Replies

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
Newbie Heating Question
« on: July 19, 2015, 15:01 »
I have an 8x10 greenhouse I want to reliably keep at a min of 5c this winter. Has no electric, but is in my back garden some 10m from the house so electric heating is not impossible.

I get the impression from what I've researched that paraffin heaters are a pain, the can smoke and you have to be refilling regularly with paraffin. Sounds a lot of hassle. And the gas heaters are expensive to run and not reliable. Electric heater would seem better but I have no power in greenhouse at present.

Whats my best option?

Is it safe to run an extension cable from my house to the greenhouse in winter? Or to use electric do I need to get an electrician to safely fit power to greenhouse?

Thanks

Nikkithefoot

Re: Newbie Heating Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 15:49 »
If running electricity to your greenhouse you should really be using the proper armoured cable and have it all connected properly including waterproof sockets. There is simply too much moisture around to use extension cables safely and they are not meant for outside use.

I know some people do use extension cables, but I wouldn't take the risk.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 17:12 »
That was what I guessed. I suppose that if I go electric there's no avoiding the need to get an electrician to extend the house mains to the greenhouse properly.

But what I'd be interested to hear from others are their views on electric vs propane vs paraffin as a way of heating a greenhouse, in terms of cost/hassle/reliability.

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 21:43 »
Well personally, in terms of cost/hassle/reliability, I don't heat the greenhouse, just use the dining room windowsill for my earliest sowings.

My smallest greenhouse though is bubblewrapped, so doesn't get cold quite as quickly as the bigger one.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03 »
I can't guarantee a min temp of 5C but in the past I've used one of those mini-greenhouses in mine which has both a plastic cover and a fleeced cover. I stood it on polystyrene to stop the cold from coming up from the floor with a max-min thermometer to check the temps. It will need opening to let the air in but it did keep the temps higher by about 8C.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 22:00 »
Hi I am also looking to heat me new 10 x 8 greenhouse I have electricity but wondered which is cheaper electric either fan heater or one of these pipe shaped heaters or paraffin as I also have a paraffin heater
thanks  Bernard

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 14:04 »
I use a mini greenhouse inside the big greenhouse  / poly tunnel and heat that with candles on the bottom row, but only for the plants overnight. For germination its inside in the propagators then get moved out. As for keeping at 5'C if a decent frost is forecast I throw over another layer onto the mini greenhouse. Has worked well for me. That and delaying planting until mid Feb at the earliest.

xx
Heating in the GH question

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post April 11, 2014, 21:46
by Caretaker
question
Newbie - feeding question

Started by Lady Rosemary on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 19:28
by japagow
xx
a dumb question from a newbie to tunnels

Started by Grubbypaws on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 13:53
by DD.
xx
I now have heating! What next?

Started by fekq on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 11:50
by DD.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.