Old Windows!

• 2 Replies

mikky

Old Windows!
« on: March 31, 2015, 23:20 »
Hi everyone, I must confess from the outset that I don't come on this site much as I'm a relatively 'new' gardener and due to work commitments.
However, I'm on the 'sick' at the moment and so cannot drive, so I've some 'me' time ahead :D
We have been at our house now for nigh on two years and last year, the good landlord and lady had new double glazing put in for us--(we needed it--it IS Scotland after all :ohmy:)--so now we have several of the old aluminium frame doors from the '70's--(long)--several smaller windows, also ally framed, and three big bay windows, two with ally frames and one without, just thick seamed glass.
I was thinking of cloches, especially for the long frames, some smaller frames for the same, and for the really big bay's, a sort of 'lean to', either against each other, against posts or a wall, or to put on posts that I could sink into the ground. (So that the bay's sit on top, as a heat trap maybe?
I've plenty of posts--(it's very rural where we live)--but the bay's are ''ruddy heavy'', to say the least :ohmy:
So, can any of you guy's and gal's out there suggest uses for these 'ally framed' windows and doors?
I'm especially interested in views regarding the heavy weight monster bay's, as you don't want to be trying to manhandle THEM about too much I can tell you, being that I'm 58 this year and the missus is 65 and there's only the two of us!!
Thank you in much anticipation, MIKKY.

cadalot

Re: Old Windows!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:24 »
Are there enough to make a greenhouse then you don't have to move them?

mikky

Re: Old Windows!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 19:46 »
Thank you for your reply Cadalot!
No, not enough to make up a greenhouse, though I've now put the long ones into use, leant up against one another side by side, it is a good 'cold frame', and I've plants in them now.
The smaller ones can go up around a rhubarb patch, which is not very big anyway. until I utilise them further.
My 'bay's I have a couple of ideas for--one of which is to lean them against a wall, put logs between wall and bay's, close off both ends and season them off during the summer months.
That's the plan anyway!
Thank you once again for your reply!

xx
Re-usable windows?

Started by Yorkie on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 20:30
by Growster...
xx
Windows help needed but not for PC

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 21:13
by Ice
xx
Where to get hold of old windows/glazing?

Started by Middlesexbloke on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 19:31
by 3759allen
xx
New shed - roof 'windows'?

Started by plot53b on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 21:38
by plot53b

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 31 queries.