Tortilla press

• 13 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Tortilla press
« on: January 13, 2015, 21:10 »
Going to look into making rice flour tortillas and all recipes use the good old tortilla press which I dont have, can anyone recommend one.

Its for little Harribo who is still wheat free just trying to find something new for him.

LotuSeed

Re: Tortilla press
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 22:22 »
Going to look into making rice flour tortillas and all recipes use the good old tortilla press which I dont have, can anyone recommend one.

Its for little Harribo who is still wheat free just trying to find something new for him.

I have one and never use it. If I remember correctly the dough kept getting stuck to it and I found it easier and less fussy to roll the dough with a rolling pin. Just my two cents though.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 22:31 »
They look a very similar recipe to the piadina we make. I just roll the dough out into circles and dry fry. I do appreciate the press would make it more exciting though!  :)

I also stuff ours with garlicky spinach/chard/chicory mix - seal round the edges and dry fry both sides. Small Child loves them.

LotuSeed

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 22:40 »
On a sort of related note, rice flour noodles are delicious in chicken noodle soup! 🍜

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:18 »
I do have some of the noodles just harry is being a beast with what he will and what he wont eat.

A tip for the press I have seen so far is to line both sides with cling film or a cut up freezer bag to stop it sticking.

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:27 »
I do have some of the noodles just harry is being a beast with what he will and what he wont eat.

A tip for the press I have seen so far is to line both sides with cling film or a cut up freezer bag to stop it sticking.

Pretty sure I tried that too, but to no avail. And if you put too much dough in you end up with more of a mess.
I love rice noodles! Looks like a trip to the asian grocery is in order!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28 »
I may have a look on ebay save a bit and then if we dont get on with it its not so bad. Xx

LotuSeed

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34 »
There's a large Latino population where I live and I was actually able to get one from a local grocery store. I probably paid about $20 for it and it's nice and heavy duty (feels like cast iron but doesn't look like it)
Point being that if you have an international market of sorts you might get lucky and find one there, if only to see it and get a feel for it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:35 by LotuSeed »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35 »
That is good, have posted on freecycle too, you never know

Durgan

• Durgan's Garden Journal
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 17:58 »

January 2015 Bean tortillas

It was decided to make tortillas and adding a quantity of beans, with the purpose of fortifying the product. Nixtamalized corn and beans were mixed in the blender. This was then added to the mixing pot containing whole wheat flour, and later Maseca commercial flour was added to adjust texture to make dough. Whole wheat flour was used for the gluten to keep the tortillas intact when handling. The whole wheat flour was made from hard wheat kernels using the Wonder Mill. The tortillas were cooked in batches of nine on the new tray and cooked for ten minutes at 400F. When serving a minute in the microwave causes the tortillas to balloon and they can then be filled with various ingredients if desired. The beans were previously prepared.Pictures detail the procedure.
Thirty Six tortillas

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 20:16 by Yorkie »
Durgan, Zone 5,
Brantford, ON, Canada

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 18:22 »
They look great but would a wheat free substitute work.

Durgan

• Durgan's Garden Journal
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 18:30 »

I have made tortillas without the wheat with success, but the gluten sort of holds them together better. I don't have wheat belly so rather freely use whole wheat.  Rice is gluten free and that will be my next experiment.  These corn/bean tortillas are absolutely excellent. My cooking method is new also and it sure saves time, and makes the tortillas uniform without any effort like what is required by cooking in a pan on top of the stove.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 18:43 »

Try some good old Scottish "Tattie Scones", BQ

http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2013/04/gluten-free-potato-scones.html

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 19:47 »

Try some good old Scottish "Tattie Scones", BQ

http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2013/04/gluten-free-potato-scones.html

Ooohhh watch this space, i do love easy with my little helpers lol
Thanks Durgan keep us posted on the rice experiment.

xx
Tortilla wraps

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2011, 07:09
by arugula
xx
I need a fruit press

Started by john9159 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 17:32
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.