What type of Plant Labels or does?

• 28 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: What type of Plant Labels or does?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 22:08 »
Brilliant ideas - thanks all, keep em coming. I love that we've covered the spectrum from twizzle stick size to 2x1!   I planted a selection of 8 apple trees a couple of years ago and all the tags have washed off. It seems thats pretty much a given from what everyone is saying.

Nope, chalk marker stays put. My strawberry markers are now just over a year old and none of the letters are gone.

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46 »
I've been looking at the Brother Printer on ebay but can't make up my mind if it's worth it or not, anyone else out there had experience with this item?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brother-P-touch-GL-200VP-Label-Printer-Kit-Ideal-for-Garden-Office-or-Home-/371108599383?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Equipment_Supplies_Office_Equipment_ET&hash=item5667cbd657

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19 »
I've got one of those minus the accoutrements. From l@dl a few years back £12, they still have them now & again. I've only used it outside this year for the first time. Saw the other day label just as new. I found it a faff to get sizing of font right but good for multiples as you just repeat. I've run out of tape so thought I might treat me & my new garden when we have moved.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Comfr3y

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 15:02 »

[/quote]
 the phone-APP will only store-to-web and freshen-up when it is connected to a LAN - the paid-for version will also do that over the airwaves.
[/quote]

thanks for that detail- I'll take a look at that.  it looks like there are some specific apps around as well but i think bungling notes in with my thumbs is about my level. c.

Snoop

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 15:57 »
Anybody tried a dymo?

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 17:08 »
Anybody tried a dymo?

This is my first year of using a Dymo (use the plastic tape on cheap white plastic labels) so far outperforming anything else in so far as I can still read them, whereas those written with Sharpie permanent marker before we got the dymo are fading fast.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 17:19 »
Anybody tried a dymo?

I have a Brother Labeller things. Does an excellent job, the labels are laminated, the pyramids will probably crumble before my labels fade! but ... the "prints" work out expensive per each. Just like Razor blades, the profit is in the blade, not the handle.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 17:23 »
I get a pair of scissors, and cut up a four-pint milk bottle into small strips about half an inch by two inches, then trim each piece to a point,

It's a long winter evenings (flying by), job, but they're great for individual modules, and with written info from a permanent marker from Twongos, and you can afford to mark each individual pot this way!

I get about forty per bottle, which would otherwise get binned!

Snoop

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 21:03 »
Mr Snoop does this for me. So I have plenty of labels, but I can't always read what's on them come the end of the season.

beesrus

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 21:35 »
The obvious best "label" is to know your onions and what the seedlings and different varieties look like.
I only have a problem distinguishing three crops these days. Early tomato and pepper seedlings in pots, different early potato varieties, and the odd brassica or two, mainly distinguishing broccoli from calabrese. These get the white plastic and pencil treatment ... especially useful when one module tray is split into 3 or 4 different new varieties.

A bulk standard concocted spreadsheet takes care of final planting positions and is by far the most reliable and useful cataloging I have used.

I wouldn't dream of buying those burnt wooden herb/veg signs etc from a garden centre, especially those that give a list of culinary and medicinal uses for dummies... I would rather buy a gnome with a solar LED umbrella
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 21:37 by beesrus »

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 13:37 »
Labels aside, has anyone found a good solution to what to write on them with?

cadalot

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 15:51 »
I think that is the real question, that's why I'm thinking about the Brother Printer because permanent markers are not permanent they fade and I have tried cheap ones and expensive ones.   

crh75

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 16:58 »
A soft pencil works perfectly on the plastic labels.  It does not fade and can easily be rubbed off with a ... rubber (obviously :)).

Juperwort

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 07:22 »
I cut up an old metal venetian blind that was being chucked at work. Marker pen to write. Cut them say 6 inches long with scissors. Easy peasy, sustainable and recycled, and free.

xx
Plant labels

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 07:15
by Growster...
xx
no doubt il feel daft - plant labels

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 18:12
by binner
xx
Fencing type plant

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 22:36
by Babstreefern
xx
When to plant different type of spuds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 18:24
by gobs

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 35 queries.