Slow worm in my compost bin - and woodlice...

• 5 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Slow worm in my compost bin - and woodlice...
« on: March 29, 2014, 17:30 »
Have been doing some spring cleaning in the garden and put some detritus in the dalek - popped the lid of and there looking at me was slowworm - judging by the size a young one. Of course, it stayed perfectly still as I got my phone out to take a photo, but, curses, as I raised the phone to 'shoot' it 'legged' it.  :homy:

That's an aside really, as the other thing I noticed was that my compost was full of woodlice when usually I have worms in abundance. I guess the mix is maybe a little too woody at present? I'd put a load of grass cuttings in a couple of weeks ago and may have overdone the 'brown' mix that I added in.

Don't want to upset the slowworm - so will probably leave it as is - though any other ideas welcome?

Cheers,
Balders

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Slow worm in my compost bin - and woodlice...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 18:21 »
Actually, thinking about it - I've got some tough stuff to compost - sprout roots and such like - I guess the woodlice would have a chance against that. So long as they don't chew my plants when I come to spread the compost.

Cheers,
Balders

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 18:27 »
Unless your compost becomes very hot I find that worms tend to populate it in the early stages, and woodlice in the later stages.

The soft 'greens' will always be the first ingredient to break down, and really twiggy stuff the last - woodlice will be doing their bit to help and are not a problem (they like cool, damp places and don't hang around in the open.)

Slow-worms, ahhhhhhhh - used to see them quite often in Hastings (where I come from) but have never seen one here in Sheffield.  :(

(As for 'legging it', now that's something I really would like to see!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 19:40 »
Slowworms really do seem to like my garden - always some slithering going on in the bushes. Couple of years back there was a coiled mass of 6 or 7 on my delapidated shed roof, underneath a covering of ivy. The shed was only saved from removal because of the slowworms…

Cheers,
Balders

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 19:50 »
Too snake like for my liking. :) I'm glad I haven't got them really, although I know they are good for the plot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 20:18 »
Slow worms love compost bins, good for the garden, they like to eat all the nasties
who pinched me marrow?

xx
yikes slow worm in the compost heap !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 21:54
by r2d2
xx
follow on from "yikes I have a slow worm in my compost heap" !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 14:30
by starry
xx
slow worm

Started by cede on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2006, 22:19
by twysted1
xx
woodlice in compost bin

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 08:25
by gypsy

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 35 queries.