Base/insulation for a cold frame??

• 16 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Base/insulation for a cold frame??
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:11 »
OH loves to design and build things so he was in charge. It has a wooden frame and is 'cladded' on the outside. There are two  windows that are polycarbonate, with wooden frames that are hinged and have a catch in the front to secure them down. Not sure how they are being held open as that is being added this weekend as it gets put together in the garden. It's designed to be easily dismantled and stored when not needed (I'm sure it will be used all the time). It's sitting on a base of paving slabs and the internal walls will be insulated with silver lining stuff from B and Q.
When I was going to build a cold-frame (but didn't) I was thinking of holding it open at each end with something that works like the catches that have holes used at the bottom of windows where you can open a bit or all the way for varying aeration. Two flat wooden "laths" with holes in, secured by hinges at each end of the window frame  (or four if they both open independently) with two (or four) pieces of dowelling inside the cold frame to secure the necessary opening aperture might do the trick?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yana

Re: Base/insulation for a cold frame??
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 20:02 »
OH loves to design and build things so he was in charge. It has a wooden frame and is 'cladded' on the outside. There are two  windows that are polycarbonate, with wooden frames that are hinged and have a catch in the front to secure them down. Not sure how they are being held open as that is being added this weekend as it gets put together in the garden. It's designed to be easily dismantled and stored when not needed (I'm sure it will be used all the time). It's sitting on a base of paving slabs and the internal walls will be insulated with silver lining stuff from B and Q.
When I was going to build a cold-frame (but didn't) I was thinking of holding it open at each end with something that works like the catches that have holes used at the bottom of windows where you can open a bit or all the way for varying aeration. Two flat wooden "laths" with holes in, secured by hinges at each end of the window frame  (or four if they both open independently) with two (or four) pieces of dowelling inside the cold frame to secure the necessary opening aperture might do the trick?
I like the sound of that. Thanks GGR
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

xx
Cold frame

Started by Brushcutter on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 17:55
by JayG
xx
Cold frame..

Started by jenny53 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 07:49
by Leedsniner
xx
cold frame?

Started by viettaclark on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 00:22
by viettaclark
xx
Best cold frame

Started by Salmo on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 15:56
by noshed

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 35 queries.