Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?

• 63 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 19:02 »
Dreamies are an OK, 2nd place, in my household, But Felix "Goody Bags", are the No. 1 here.  :D

Added to the shopping list to see if miss fussyboots (aka Lucy) will like them  :D

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 19:29 »
Dreamies are an OK, 2nd place, in my household, But Felix "Goody Bags", are the No. 1 here.  :D

Added to the shopping list to see if miss fussyboots (aka Lucy) will like them  :D

Our Molly is not a treat cat, but even she eats the "Goody Bag" treats.
Molly's life is, eat, sleep, eat more, sleep more & on the odd occasion play, followed by topping up the old tummy !  :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 19:42 »
That sounds a very familiar lifeplan - for Lucy, not me :lol:

Interspersed with her meowing at the top of her voice "where are you mum?"
"mmmmmuuuuuummmm - where are you?"
"oh! there you are"
Jumping on my lap and putting her claws in, having a cuddle or a good stroking session (her decision which is allowed  ::) ) then jumping off and heading back to her cat bed  :lol:

maxyboo

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 20:10 »
Advantage is good in that you do not need a vets prescription anymore. It comes in 2 sizes I believe so you need to roughly know the weight of your cat, if they are 4kg or less there is a smaller dose. Not tried it yet but my neighbour has just used it and I have not found fleas on her cats since. It does not help with ticks or worms as far as I know but ticks aren't much of a problem for me and I use drontal for worms anyway.
My friend has several cats and has used advantage and advocate and says they both work well.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 20:19 »
Has anyone used Stronghold for flea infection ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 01:18 »
My girl Mathilda got out the other evening (we suddenly noticed her outside the kitchen window having closed it!!) and she came in with fleas (dirty dirty girl!! :lol: :lol: :lol:).
Dunno where she got them from but she hasn't had them for over 10 years!!

Frontlined her and Ollie (her brother) but left the baby kittens as fleas would be well obvious on their short fur and we've seen nothing yet  (on Moo -Mathilda - it was obvious and over her eye and jumped away!! :ohmy: )

So Frontline still works for me but I haven't routinely done the cats for years as they are indoor mogs 98% of the time.

This 'Advocate' stuff sounds good - my 2 older mogs hate Frontline - they object like it burns!!

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 13:46 »
So it's Advocate versus Advantage then. I will doodle them and compare what they do. My little tortie Daphne (a.k.a. MY FRIEND) is noticeably losing hair again and scratching, so I need to get this sorted for her. She's obviously got a flea or whatever allergy, as the 3 other cats are ok apart from having the occasional surviving flea.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 19:41 »
Scratching with fur loss sounds like a flea allergy.
Dry, rough, scabby skin is common too in more advanced stages of the allergy.

I too have seen cat's, react funnily to Frontline, like it burns/irritates. Vet thought it was a reaction of feeling cold on the skin.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 20:18 »

I too have seen cat's, react funnily to Frontline, like it burns/irritates. Vet thought it was a reaction of feeling cold on the skin.

This is what it does to mine.
They're fine after but grumpy! ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 14:46 »

Am now going to get my precious Daphne to the vets asap because I instinctively felt she was experiencing this burning/irritation effect from Frontline as well as from her flea infection, and feel she definitely has an allergy, not just to fleas but Frontline Combo as well. My tortie Daphne is the most loving, trustful, and fur-snuggleable rescue cat you could ever wish to know, but tablets of any sort are definitely not an option unless you want to lose most of your epidermis.

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 13:57 »
Just had Daphne to the vets and asked in-depth questions re- the different flea treatments and their efficacy. It seems to be "you pays your money and you takes your choice" as every cat and situation is different. She had an injection to make her more comfortable and, because Frontline Combo treats the house as well, went for it for now. We do have a chocolate-coloured tom that visits from goodness-knows-where and have only seen him twice -once in our utility room where he soon fled through the cat-flap and recently in our flower garden when I saw him in all his glory. As to our other three cats, Amber has a nest in a field near us so we hardly see her and can't catch her to give her flea treatment; the other two have had theirs, one of whom is starting to scratch again, so flea stuff tomorrow is on the cards for them. I will investigate Advantage as it is prescription-free, though money doesn't matter as long as I can get this sorted.

Goosegirl

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09 »
Just an update on my Daphne. She is soooo much more comfortable today Strange thing is, when I took her to the vets, she was "Whoo-whoo-ing" there and back but, on getting home and letting her out of her carry basket, she never left me alone for the rest of the day despite her experience. She is sitting by me as I type and "bearing a grudge" isn't in her vocabulary. God - I love her!!  :tongue2:

Oliveview

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 23:15 »
At last our dogs seem to be free of ticks at home and the refuge.  We had visitors last week, the dogs were bringing ticks it the house  :ohmy:  Having light floor tiles is handy at times!  The dogs were banned from the house- luckily they have a big covered area outside where they sleep!! 
We have pulled up all the statice flowers, the dogs likes laying amongst them, so hopefully that has deterred the  ticks too. 
Our cat came home one day with fleas jumoing everywhere off him-  our neighbour had seen him playing with a rabbit that had Myxi (?)  the neighbour chased off our cat and killed the baby rabbit.  Our cats were kept to the garage for 48 hours, to give the tick/flea treatment time to work  :lol:

Pamela

Goosegirl

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45 »
I think I may have to grasp the nettle and give everywhere, including corners and skirting boards, a jolly good hoover as they are still scratting.  :ohmy: I think I will take advice on here and get some Advantage from a good website and give it in a month's time when they will all be ready for another dose. It will be interesting to note how it works and will post the results on here. If there is no improvement, I'll try Advocate. They have a separate spot-on wormer called Profender. Just the ticks to deal with - are they just a summer thing?

maxyboo

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 14:46 »
I routinely spray my house twice a year as a precautionary measure. I use indorex spray and buy it online as it is cheaper than my local stores. The frontline combo is not going to stop the fleas that were  developing in your house before treatment so I would spray anyway.
 My neighbour used advantage on her flea ridden cats a few weeks ago and I have not seen any more fleas yet. We use the spot on profender too. It's more expensive than pills but so much easier. I don't seem to have much of a tick problem with my cats but bought myself a tick tool to safely remove them with which works well.  I run a flea comb over my cats when I have time too, to check for the little critters and squish them. They are fast movers though so I try and do it outside! It does feel like a constant battle sometimes.

xx
Recall Dog Flea treatment... Fatal

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 14:21
by mumofstig
xx
Cat flea treatment...fatal Recall product

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 17:04
by madcat
xx
Spot-on cat wormer v spot-on combined wormer and flea treatment

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 12:33
by grendel
xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.