panic over concrete slabs for chicken house and run!

• 10 Replies

rosegarden

Last week in preperation for the arrival of the girls in August we had concrete slabs laid down for the chicken house and run - the house and run is a total of 12ft long.  Today when my other half ordered the house and run the people we ordered it from said they would not recommend concrete slabs for chickens because their feet are very delicate and could get damaged due to the scratching about.  We were going to put a thick layer of easibed on top of the concrete.  We have still ordered the house and run but I am now in a panic over the slabs and am wondering whether we have done the right thing - any advice would be appreciated.

snow white

Re: panic over concrete slabs for chicken house and run!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 15:46 »
Mine are in a concrete run at the moment and have quite happily scratched in the woodchips for the last year.  Their feet are fine and I have put stalosen f down and there is no smell.  It is also roofed to keep it dry.  I have just put the hose in there to rince them off (the concrete tilts towards the drains.)  and  they are as good as new.  Keeping chickens in a fixed run on earth, if too small, will end up a smelly quagmire.  You have the right idea.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 15:49 »
you do have to be careful that they don't get bumblefoot, however if they have a good thick layer of shavings, easybed etc then you should be ok.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 16:13 »
Are you using the slabs because of possible fox attacks? If so, you could do what we have done and put them around the house/run area and sit the house and run on the top so that the hens have their earth and Mr Fox will struggle to tunnel in to get them. Also, this will help preserve the wood as it will not be in contact with the ground. For added safety we have hammered stakes inside the perimeter and screwed them to the house and run - just in case we have a super strong fox that could nudge the run off its mount!

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31 »
Not quite clear whether the whole run is slabbed and whether the work has already been done; but if it is/has, then you'll need to provide dustbathing (e.g. tyres and sand) and you can put rests such as an old pallet to alter the topography. Concrete itself isn't a problem and the birds need to wear down their toe nails. I'd suggest leaving fixed slabs around the coop so easy to clean and remove a few and fill with sand/gravel.
A lot depends on the intensity of use. How many birds are you getting? A 12' length for coop and run is quite small - how wide is it? Is a part covered and wind protected?

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 13:52 »
we use concrete or slabs with a thick (3inches) layer of hard wood chips.  Better for their feet and also they have something to scratch around in so they dont get bored
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 14:45 »
Our run also has a slabbed base, we cover it generously with miscanthus or wood chips when we can get them. We have kept our chicken like this for a couple of year with no problems at all. As already suggested, provide a dustbath for them, we used to use a tyre but it was a little awkward to clean at times so we now use one of these big shallow trug things. We fill it with a mix of stuff like sand, spent compost and DE. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faulks-Tubtrug-Flexible-Shallow-Yellow/dp/B002NKGQUI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1372254267&sr=8-17&keywords=shallow+trug

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 14:50 by JaK »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 17:22 »
 :lol:  That is a great idea JaK. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rosegarden

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 17:38 »
Thanks for all the advice so far.  We have already got a dust bath and I should just point out that the house and run are for 3 chickens.  We have had the roof of the run covered with polycarbonate roofing which is uv stable. Is there anything else I need to worry about!!!!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 17:40 »
Thanks for all the advice so far.  We have already got a dust bath and I should just point out that the house and run are for 3 chickens.  We have had the roof of the run covered with polycarbonate roofing which is uv stable. Is there anything else I need to worry about!!!!!

Yes, do you have room to extend when you get totally addicted and need to expand your flock!!   ::) :lol:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 22:24 »
:lol:  That is a great idea JaK.
After this pic, one more hen squished her way in. So, now we know that you can get 6 hens in a bargain bucket.

Rosegarden- I think you are doing everything you need to. Can't wait to see pics of the new girls.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 22:25 by JaK »

xx
chicken run flooring - paving slabs?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 19:55
by rosie14
xx
Chicken mixing / concrete question

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2007, 20:39
by lucyeff
xx
which chicken and what house

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 09:23
by mumof4
xx
new chicken house :-)

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:12
by Vember

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 30 queries.