Veg Troughs

• 8 Replies

maxyboo

Veg Troughs
« on: May 01, 2013, 21:56 »
Hi all, hope someone can help. I  look after a disabled lady whose husband  bought her a couple of wooden vegetable troughs without really thinking about what to do with them once they were delivered. ::)  I would assume they need a liner of some kind. I am not sure what to advise her to fill them with. I thought a mix of multi purpose compost with top soil might work well with some kind of drainage material in the bottom, but wondered if any of you wonderful people have any experience or advice to offer. She will mainly grow salad ingredients and herbs.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Veg Troughs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 23:01 »
Hi, I don't know if you have looked at Thrive's website (http://www.carryongardening.org.uk).  They have a lot of information.  Personally, I would fill with part soil based compost/part multipurpose compost as you have suggested. 

Depending on the depth of the containers, I am not sure you would need drainage (if you think you don't need it in hanging baskets?)  Do they have drainage holes or are they just slatted wood?

Thrive also recommend using newspaper mulch, etc to cut down on weeding.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 23:04 »
Looking at the manger style ones available from harrods horticultural, they seem to be lined with weed suppressant. I guess you could even line them with capillary matting to retain water and add water retaining granules into the mix.

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 23:24 »
We've lined our with 1950' lino, but won't be filling it totally with compost 'cos it's too deep. Going to part fill it with wood chips )free some mole casting (free) and some compost.....afraid we have to buy this :(

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11 »
'Mole casting'!

Now there's someone who knows the facts!

Excellent..;0)

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:49 »
'Mole casting'!

Now there's someone who knows the facts!

Excellent..;0)

Stoppit Gtowster...you'll make me bluch!  :blush: :blush: :blush:

maxyboo

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 14:17 »
Thanks all. Yes angelavdavis they are wood and I suppose weed supressant should work as a liner as it will let the water out, then she wouldn't need any drainage material in the bottom. I think they planned on painting a wood preserver on until someone mentioned that chemicals could leech out of it. I will pass on the Thrive link  so she can have a good look thanks. I like your idea of using free stuff agapanthus. Luckily I don't have to pay for the compost this time!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 14:39 »
If the troughs have gaps between the slats at the bottom you can line them with plastic sheet (old compost bags are ideal if you've got any.)

Push the sheeting through the slats just enough so that when you make a few drainage holes in it the water won't wet the timber when it drains out - this will save any worries about the wood deteriorating from water from that source, although lining with plastic would avoid any worries about contamination from timber preservatives anyway.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 21:31 »
Good iea JayG. I will have a good look at the troughs next time I'm there and see if that's possible

xx
Growing in Pots and Troughs

Started by pete on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:18
by pete
xx
vegetable planter troughs

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2013, 14:05
by snowdrops
clip
Deep growing troughs

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 16, 2021, 09:24
by snowdrops
xx
Spacing of strawberries in plant troughs

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 12:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 37 queries.