Bottling Wilkos wine from kit today - tastes like redwine vinegar??

• 17 Replies

composthappens

so with all this horrid weather, my homebrew was ready to bottle.  Trouble is, it tastes like redwine vinegar, not fruitie whatsoever, how long should i leave it before it is drinkable?  The instructions say it is ready to drink now but no way lol.  It tastes like it needs sweetening up too. :(

grinling

Have you bottled it yet? Which wine is it?

composthappens

It is Wilkinsons Elderberry wine kit, and yes we bottled it on Saturday. Any ideas? :happy:

crh75

That sounds like it has spoilt!   >:(

composthappens

oh dear! how did that happen? I did everything as per the instuctions... :(

LilacSandy

If it is anything like the stuff made with real elderberries it will be very bitter if it does not have enough sugar in, and does not really have a fruity taste.  Also even if the instructions say it will be ready to drink, any strong red will be all the better for a few months in the bottle.

composthappens

Here is a pic of my bottled wine, lets hope it matures ok!!!
wine.jpg

grinling

Nice colour, keep in a dark place or the colour will go. Found the red wine from wilko kits prob like an A or B grade wine, wheras the white wine or strawberry wine better.
The 2 demijohns of wine from handpicked elderberry my hubby says is gorgeous, they will be bottled up Nov, especially as the neighbours fancy some.
When doing red wines use coloured demijohns or wrap in parcel paper and bottle into dark bottles. Chat to restaurants for empties.

composthappens

Thats a good tip thank you, i will pester local restaraunts for sure, i might try mead next. ive put the bottles of elderberry in a dark cupboard in the garage, will check on it in a couple of months, i have a bit left in the demijon too, so i can use that as a sampler to see if it gets better in time.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Hello,
Ive just done a few of these kits and would have to agree the strawberry one is by far the nicest. Did you make sure everything was sterile before hand? I used a combination of sterilising solution for babies available at wilkos for around 50p a bottle and also sterilising tablets. I had last year tried to make some cider which came out as vinegar and I distinctively remember not leaving the sterilising solution in the equipment (demijohn, bottles, corks and airlocks) for as long. Most of my equipment I would leave to sterilise overnight but this cider batch I tried to rush and only had half an hour to sterilise.

I left them longer to ferment as the weather has been colder. I would add the finnings after the fermentation has completed and not going by what the leaflet said. Basically just wait for the bubbles to stop. Then wait about a week to clear and put it in a dark area. Previously during fermentation I would just leave it by a radiator.

I have been asking neighbours for bottles or lurking around the bottle bank :)

Look into avery templates for the stickers. You can personalise them on the computer then print them out on an avery template so they just stick on.

I hope some of the above helps, Good luck :)

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Yeah sounds like it has spoilt.  The smell is noramlly a good indication as it will smell like vinegar.  I believe it will happen when bacteria breeds in the finsihed wine and reacts with it, not sure the technicallities but there are lots of home brew forums that go into great detail.  Best way to avoid it is treat your brewing area like its a surgical room.  Maybe not quite as far as sterilising walls but definetly sterilise all the tools you will be using, the surfaces they will be placed on, your hands, tie your hair back if necessary, refrain from coughing/sneezing and don't touch anything other than the sterilised tools until the airlock is back in place or bottles or sealed.  All my first batches of wine kits also spoiled and I ended up with dozens of bottles of useless wine so nowadays I'm very cautious.

I found a cherry wine kit was the best I tried but will try the strawberry now since its recommended.  Good luck and try not to be disheartened by it as these things happen and will improve with experience  ;)
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

grinling

Don't bother to leave any in the demijohn as it is contact with oxygen in the air that causes it to go like vinegar. Decant into a small plastic bottle.
Check your demijohn for seals or smear some vasaline around where the bung meets the glass to seal better.

composthappens

Ive just had a taste of my wine again, and i cant taste or smell vinegar, so i dont know that that was!  It tastes watery, slightly fruity, but has that tang of alcohol, so i wonder if it just needs to mature...

crh75

That does sound like it just needs to mature.  Try and leave it for a few months, 6 to 12 would be best.

hamstergbert

...... Try and leave it for a few months, 6 to 12 would be best.

With wine from picked elderberries, 36 to 72 months is better still!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
A simple white wine that tastes pretty damn good.

Started by Sideways on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:56
by aelf
xx
Bottling homemade wine - how do you avoid the sediment!?

Started by isobel on Homebrew

21 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 17:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Bottled my first wine today :)

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 19:54
by Growster...
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.