weed killer

• 12 Replies

NinjaMonkey

weed killer
« on: May 17, 2014, 13:00 »
Hi all,

I need to get some weed killer for my garden flower beds, drive way.. I was looking at getting this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231218191509

It's glyphosate in concentrated form. Is this stuff any good? I've got a dog and two cats so I have to be careful when they're outside.

I was also wondering if I could use this to kill off an area of garden which used to be a vegetable patch to then in a few months time start to grow there.

Any advice you can offer would be gratefully received!

Thanks
Matt

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 14:37 by mumofstig »

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog

Goosegirl

Re: weed killer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 14:01 »
Sorry - the link wouldn't work for me, but I have the same problem having four beloved cats with the need to use weedkillers. I have a gravel drive, a large ornamental garden and veg area which I can't possibly keep under control by hand-weeding alone, especially as my OH is disabled and can't help me in the garden. Advice always states to keep pets inside until the area has dried - yeah right! I would have no outside doors left, plus there would be at least one cat prowling somewhere unknown in the nearby fields. I recently hired a gardening firm to help me out in the garden and quizzed them about using weedkillers on my drive, plus quizzed another firm I got to treat my weedy lawns. Both firms said they had never had a problem pet-wise, so I bit the bullet and got them to use it. I had no problems with my cats - possibly because they kept away when the chaps were here, and maybe it dried quite quickly after applying it. What I am doing now is keeping emerging weeds under control by hand-weeding those I can get out easily, spot-spraying such as dandelions and thistles in the afternoon when my cats are snoozing, mulching emerging annuals and grass seedlings with lawn cuttings or shreddings, and covering all those areas that are too hard to weed with cardboard or large plastic bags cut open and weighed down with stones. I also want to kill off the grass in the paths between my veg beds and plan to have cut-open bags at the ready so I can spray a bit at a time and lay the bags down as I go along. My cats tend to keep away when I use anything electrical that makes a noise, so I plan to use my electric shredder whilst I do it. As for your gravel drive, in warm weather the spray will quickly dry, but for that I would use something like Pathclear which not only kills off the current weeds, but stops any more emerging. Just don't spray near a hedge or other plants as it will affect their roots that have grown down under the drive. I hope this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 14:47 »
Please be aware that both of the links are for products for professional use only, and should only be used if you have the appropriate licences.

This site cannot recommend their use ..........

NinjaMonkey

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 16:46 »
Many thanks for the help so far..

I've just found that in the past the roundup hasn't really worked for me so was hoping for something a little stronger.

Does anyone know if you can use things like roundup and then grow veg in it a few months later? - The ground at my mother in laws has unfortunately got so out of control since her neighbour passed away who used to maintain it.

Appreciate the comment mumofstig and the licences required.. I'm happy to not use those types, just need some help from my green fingered friends on here as i'm still a nooby in the garden!

Thanks
Matt

Totty

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 16:59 »
Glyphosphate is what it is. A systemic weedkiller. If used when weeds are growing strongly, the weather is dry and the spray isn't getting blown around, it will kill anything you will find n your plot. It may take a couple of applications but will work. Roundup is as good as any but expensive. Clinic ace is the same just cheaper. I've shot down knotweed with it so it works.

This site cannot recommend the use of such products. But I do.

Totty

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 20:53 »
You are quite correct Totty, Clinic Ace is for professional use only, therefore this forum can't recommend it for use by those without a licence.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 13:10 »
As per my previous post, a glyphosate weed killer such as Roundup or Scott's are publicly available, plus some weeds need another application to kill them completely, so try it again. I would try buying the concentrated version and add a little soap like Faery doo-dah as it will help the liquid to stay on the leaves.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:10 »
As per my previous post, a glyphosate weed killer such as Roundup or Scott's are publicly available, plus some weeds need another application to kill them completely, so try it again. I would try buying the concentrated version and add a little soap like Faery doo-dah as it will help the liquid to stay on the leaves.

A couple of drops in a sprayer are all you need even with Morrison's cheapest washing up liquid!

Don't forget it takes a while for weedkiller to work and get down to the roots.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mrsbean

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 19:42 »
have used glyphosate on docs in the past very effective. was looking at roundup gel today but thought better of it as you only dab it on it could be fiddle on little weeds. i find weedol just as good and i can still grow veg after weeds have died.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 20:54 »
I think Weedol is just another brand of Glyphosate.

Mr Dog

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 21:25 »
I think Weedol is just another brand of Glyphosate.

Weedol 2 contains diquat

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 22:08 »
Some Weedol products do contain Glyphosate.

You need to be specific about the product name.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
weed killer in jan ?

Started by smellykipper on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 11:14
by Baldy
xx
Weed Killer!?

Started by weathergirl on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 21:25
by weathergirl
xx
Weed killer: just how bad is it?

Started by harveypooka on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 15:00
by LilacSandy
xx
Organic weed killer

Started by pumpkinpatch on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 11:34
by Ice

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 39 queries.