Post your Coop and Run set-ups here!!

• 212 Replies

Prod

Re: Post your Coop and Run set-ups here!!
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01 »
When I first started keeping chickens last year I made the mistake that a lot of people do, I think, and went overboard, paying nearly £300 for a coop etc.  Now I have increased my flock and also breed call ducks I realise that it can be done just as well for a lot less. I am fortunate that whilst we were extending our cottage I spent a lot with a local builder and got to know them. They now keep pallets for me  but specifically a type that are newer and better wood. They also give me the battons that comes with certain concrete materials to separate them plus any old off cuts. Some of the wood is a meter long and has a groove cut in it , ideal for pop hole doors.   Anyway  I have posted some pics of the latest coop I have built, plus the enclosure.  All the wood was free so all I had to buy was a few nails & screws, which I would use anyway, a couple of pairs of hinges and the mesh wire (which I got cheap as it is slight seconds)  I reackon I have saved a fortune!!!!!
coop 001.JPG
coop 003.JPG
Nakins Sugar & Coop 013.JPG
Nakins Sugar & Coop 014.JPG
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:07 by Prod »

coop-de-tat

« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2013, 21:59 »
Progress!

The rain finally stopped here a few hours ago and I managed to get a little bit more done. Creosoted all that needs it and finished the main frame. The floor is all ready to be cut and fixed tomorrow, with the promise of a good sunny weekend coming up I'm hoping to finish in a few days. WHOOPEE!

Then I'll wait about 10 days or so for the creosote to cure safely and I will be settling in my little harem :-]

Here's a pic of my project ready for the floor:=]

Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2013, 22:30 »
Progress!

The rain finally stopped here a few hours ago and I managed to get a little bit more done. Creosoted all that needs it and finished the main frame. The floor is all ready to be cut and fixed tomorrow, with the promise of a good sunny weekend coming up I'm hoping to finish in a few days. WHOOPEE!

Then I'll wait about 10 days or so for the creosote to cure safely and I will be settling in my little harem :-]

Here's a pic of my project ready for the floor:=]

Did you mean creocote as you need a licence to use creosote and I believe that you are only supposed to use it on wood that has already been treated with it.  It is not suitable to be used near chickens.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2013, 22:57 »
Did you mean creocote as you need a licence to use creosote and I believe that you are only supposed to use it on wood that has already been treated with it.  It is not suitable to be used near chickens.   ;)

Creocote yeah that's it..........

CdT

coop-de-tat

« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2013, 22:23 »
Floor finished! And completed all the roof purlins. Will be tackling the side boxes tomorrow, let's hope the weather holds..............

No more smelly creocote. Will be using a good Cuprinol or Ronseal preserver on the ply and sidings to match the fence.

CdT
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 22:25 by coop-de-tat »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2013, 22:25 »
Be careful of all the places that red mite can hide CdT!

BobE

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2013, 22:26 »
Looking good

coop-de-tat

« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2013, 22:47 »
Be careful of all the places that red mite can hide CdT!

Yeah tell me about it.

I had a few probs with them the last time out before Mr Reynard enjoyed a banquet a couple of years ago.

I have liberally applied creocote over the frame, floor and roof joists. I'm hoping this might deter the little boogers. The siding and ply boxes will be butted up against these.

Only time will tell OC.

CdT

coop-de-tat

« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2013, 22:48 »

BobE

« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2013, 22:50 »
Is it worth using brown silicone to seal all the joints.  To reduce any gaps.  Would only cost a fiver.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2013, 23:18 »
Is it worth using brown silicone to seal all the joints.  To reduce any gaps.  Would only cost a fiver.

I have thought about sealant Bob. But hopefully  there will be no real gaps to worry about. Also the girls might have great fun pecking at any sealant that come loose after time.

CdT

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2013, 23:18 »
Probably not as the hens will merrily peck at it and won't be able to digest it.   ;)

You can use a diatom slurry to paint the inside which most members find helps prevent the dreaded mites. 

coop-de-tat

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2013, 09:48 »
I've been held up a little this week, but managed to finish the rear boxes and perches. Hoping to complete my little poultry palace in a day or two :=]

CdT

BobE

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51 »
Looks lovely.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2013, 22:10 »
Looks lovely.

TY Bob :=]

Hoping to finish by Sunday. I fitted the front and door today and have the sidings and roof then remaining to be done. A few fiddly bits (pophole, dropdoor, a bolt or two and one or two more coats of preserver)

I have spoken to someone in Pembrey, Pembs who seems to offer a good choice of POL chickens I'll probably drive up there in the week.

Here's the latest pic.

xx
New coop New coop !!!! Pics added

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:31
by Evansent
xx
New Coop

Started by tiptopchickendon on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 10:56
by tiptopchickendon
xx
Not my coop but....

Started by Carolf on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:08
by Ben_H
xx
So, the new coop........

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 11:06
by evie2

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 54 queries.