dog fight

• 10 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
dog fight
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:39 »
we were on the park last night - playing ball, everything normal and quiet. both dogs happily running around and shehra doing A LOT of sniffing and marking. turns out there had been a bitch in heat on the there earlier.

all of a sudden a springer comes out of nowhere and challenges him. they ended up in a spat. shehra is well known for not using his teeth but his massive feet instead but the springer caught him in the eye and tore some if his lower lid. lots of bleeding and now lots of runny clear goop.

am keeping it clean with lightly salted water and a light layer of antiseptic cream. the actual eyeball is clear and no yellow puss as yet. anything else i should be doing?

will take him to the vet if it doesn't stay clean.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: dog fight
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:55 »
Poor boy! It might be worth taking him to the vet anyway to check that his cornea didn't get scratched. 
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:59 »
If its and eye I would get him to the vets- main reason being they are very prone to infection, and clear runny goop could in the worst case be the gel that fills the eye ball.

I tend to when possible 'home nurse' my dogs, but eyes are the one think that always go to see the vet!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:49 »
the problem is - we don't have the car at the moment. will be back tomorrow. shehra won't get on a bus and i don't have anyone i can ask either. i made the appointment this morning and explained the situation. they said to keep bathing it to keep it clean.

the wound has closed over and the clean goop is like wet aftersleep from the watery eye which i'm trying to keep clean too. he's fine for the time being but will let you know how he gets on at the vet's.

fingers crossed...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 19:09 »
Hope he makes a quick recovery.  Sending him bug hugs better.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 19:53 »
Hope he is better soon.  We have a pup at the refuge where I help with a bad eye infection, his eye is white  :ohmy:  he has antibiotic drops, so fingers crossed he will be ok.  This poor pup arrived at the refuge with a bad cut foot, a car had run over it! 
Fingers crossed for  you

Pamela

lizt

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 22:17 »
you can phone the vet and ask for advise, the vet should be willing to advise you over phone for free if they don't phone another vet, they are not like doctors you can use any vet.

if you get council tax benefit you can use pdsa.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 16:58 »
hi,

shehra is much better today. i called the garage and explained the situation - luckily they moved my job and got it ready for the evening. rang the vet and as they're there till 7 he got seen last night. typical for it to happen when we don't have the blooming car!

anyway they said he was lucky it just caught the white of the eye and not the cornea and he's been given a gel for use twice daily. thankfully the swelling has already gone down and he looks better! so pleased :)

thank you from him for the lovely kind words.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 20:13 »
Phew!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mobilekat

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 20:53 »
Phew too!

Glad to know he is OK, as sounds quite close!

Hope he is OK with other dogs after his nasty experience!

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 22:45 »
gave shehra a bath today and now he's sleeping on my feet. the eye is still a little red but the swelling has gone and the yellow after-sleep isn't as runny so i'm guessing he's feeling much better - not condoning such behaviour but i think the two pieces of a certain colonel's chicken helped!  ::)

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.