Ex-batt's

• 10 Replies

moomoos42

Ex-batt's
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:11 »
Hi everyone.
Thank you for all the kind words after the loss of our first hen, Ellie.
We have decided to get some ex-batt's from British Hen Welfare Trust.
They wont have any until october now so i'm trying to get as much advice about looking after ex-batt's as possible before then.
The one thing at the moment puzzling me is i've seen pictures of them with the dog toy, Kong, but i can't find anywhere that tells you what to put in them!!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
Re: Ex-batt's
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 15:17 »
One thing I found, just to let you know - the battery hen crumb is recommended for when you first get them.  However, mine don't like it!  I have a nearly full 20kg bag that is having to be shared out around the rest of them, and they love it!  ::) My batts much prefer layers pellets- or growers if they can get their beaks to it!  Good luck with them, I know you will love them!  :D
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

JACDORE

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 15:47 »
When we lost our girls we went and got 5 ex-battery hens.  It was so lovely to watch them learning new things like eating grass, running (Still woddle now) try to fly a little, eat worms, have rain on them, sun bathe etc etc.  Sure does brighten up your day.  Mine had their beaks snipped at the ends so picking up pellets that we've always used was so difficult for them.  Now we offer mash and in a seperate feeder pellets so the original can have her pellets.  They do try and succeed sometimes but to make sure they get enough the mash is always about. Good luck with your ex-batts its such a happy experience :)
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 19:39 »
we got 4 a few weeks ago they doing fine get some u will enjoy them
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 23:46 »
PROS: All the things mentioned above about seeing them enjoying their new lives and learning how to be chickens again.

CONS: Shorter life expectancy, medical complications (especially reproductive disorders), and behavioural problems from having lived such a hard life.

When I first decided to keep chickens I intended to get some ex-batts or other 'rescued' hens from the SPCA.  After looking into it further I decided I wasn't experienced enough to take on the challenge, and I would save it for later in my chicken-keeping career.  I admire all those who are prepared to take on these 'troubled' hens and give them a happy home for the rest of their lives.

As for what goes in the toy - am I right that it's one of those toys with holes in it, that lets food fall out as it gets bowled around?  In that case you could put any kind of grain or seed in it that would fall out the holes.  You will still need to have the normal good practise of making sure the food stayed fresh and didn't get stuck and become damp or rancid.

At first I think the whole world will be so new and novel for ex-batts that I would just leave them to explore the real world first.  Somewhere to perch, somewhere to dig, somewhere to dust bathe, somewhere to pick at greens.  Bought toys are unlikely to be the top of their priority list!  ;)

indianrunner88

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 14:01 »
I've been keeping ex-batts for 18 months and have had 6 in all.  They soon feather up (although I do seem to have a persistent bullying problem with one of mine that I'm struggling to cure).  They never look as handsome as some pure breeds, but mine do lay well.  The eggs can be thin shelled as the hens soon become old and worn out, due to the intensive way their bodies are used.

Ex-batts have lots of character and mine lead healthy, happy lives.  They are not complicated to keep and were my first hens.  We won't give our spaces to pure breeds while there are still ex-batts needing a second chance at life.  The day battery farming is fully outlawed we will happily choose some pretty pure breeds.

Of the 6 I've had, one died.  Ex-batts are around 18 months I believe when rescued and can be expected to live from 1-3 years or so, although occasionally there are long lived individuals.  For a long time my 6 birds laid 5/6 eggs a day.  It has dropped slightly now.  I've never had any medical problems.  The birds come vaccinated against everything as it is in the commercial farmer's interests to avoid diseases!

JACDORE

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 15:04 »
i'd totally agree with you Indianrunner88.  They are just as easy to keep than others.  We had rhode rock blacks before and now 1 left and the 5 ex-batts and see no difference in them.  They are a real joy especially knowing you've turned their very sad likkle lives around :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 22:39 »
I will have to wait until next May to get my ex-batts. They are not battery hens, but I think they are barn hens, they look the same as ex-batts though. I understand that this egg producer only keeps his birds for a year so they will be around 18months old when we get them and hopefully will lay for a fair while. Im not so worried about that, any eggs we get will be a bonus. I just want to give them a good life for the time that they have left.

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 23:03 »
mine have been with us 2 weeks they are friendly fun and easy to keep they seem very healthy apart from the fact they are not pretty birds yet due to feather loss they are the best egg layers we have and i dont see any signs of any illnesses. they also seem like happy hens now.

moomoos42

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 14:26 »
Thank you all for your comments! :D
I don't feel so worried now. They sound like they will soon settle. I've brought a second coop as i know you can't put the new Gal's with my old 3. It's about 2 weeks before i can let them roost together? But i can let them out in the garden together after a few days? Now i just can't wait for October :lol:

JACDORE

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 17:19 »
We got 5 ex-batts and had 1 Rhode Rock Black from the original set of girls.  First we kept the 5 batts seperate in the shed until dusk, then maddy (Black) went to bed as normal and we put the new 5 in her house and closed it up for the night.  Let them all out in the morning together and its now 6weeks plus and they have all been together since that time with no probs.  Usual little pecking but nothing to worry over.  We did the (Put them all together from day 1 after sleeping together) jobbie and it worked perfect for us.

xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
sad
Poorly ex-batt

Started by tammyc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 12:22
by TJ63
xx
Jaundiced (?) ex-batt

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 06:35
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.