Building a Rockery

• 2 Replies

kings

Building a Rockery
« on: October 13, 2017, 20:50 »
Hello friends, anyone got any help or advice on building a rockery in the corner of my garden with a panel fence on one side.
I was think of putting in a retain wall of gravel boards or treated sleepers, but i wanted to slope the rockery forward and i don't know how to graduate the retaining wall to the lawn.
I hope i am making sense, but the shape will be triangular in a corner with lawn in front and a fence on one side and the garage wall on the other
Please can you help Thank you folks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Building a Rockery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:25 »
The easiest way to graduate or slope a small retaining wall is to cut the sleepers up and set them end on into the ground, rather than try and lay them horizontally.

You need to dig a trench and bed the sleepers into post mix.  Tamp everything down really well and let it set before you start back filling. 

Rockery plants don't need deep soil, so you can build the height at the bottom with hardcore, which will also make the whole lot less inclined to move. Then you can cover with top soil and save your money for some nice rocks that will be on show.   Bedding rocks well into the soil looks way better than scattering them on top as well  :)

kings

Re: Building a Rockery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 13:45 »
Thank you Global Moderator for your advice I like the sound of using sleepers as they will blend in and it's a project I would be able to do myself   Thank you

xx
building a shed

Started by gardenermatt on Design and Construction

26 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 15:12
by angelavdavis
xx
Building own polytunnel

Started by Longshanks on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 11:58
by Miamivice
xx
building a raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:52
by Sideshoot
xx
building a greenhouse

Started by Joe Shmoe on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:33
by Mosslane

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 40 queries.