Seed failure

• 12 Replies

Hitwoman

Seed failure
« on: April 02, 2016, 19:01 »
Hi-can anyone help me.  Three years ago, I started growing Hispi cabbage.  Seed germinated well and I grew some nice cabbages,  Last year however just as the seedlings were producing the second set of keaves, the initial leaves turned yellow then dies, followed by the rest of the seedling.  Started sowing again this year and the same thing seems to be happening - please see photo.  Does anyone know why and what I can do to prevent this? Thanks
image.jpeg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed failure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 19:04 »
Where are you growing them, and in what container? 

The compost appears to have a green layer of moss on the top, which would indicate that the compost has been kept too wet (how much are you watering them, what's the drainage like and are they sitting in a tray / saucer of water?).  What compost are you using?  Also, are they in a heated environment or not?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 19:04 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hitwoman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 19:09 »
Hi thanks for your reply.  I am growing the seeds in a plastic tray in my greenhouse.  The greenhouse does have some heat - just enough to keep the frost off.  I agree about the green on the soil, although they are not sat in water.  I am using Verve B And Q compost.  Thanks.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 20:51 »
I think they're a bit too damp. Also, I'm not sure that cabbages and other brassicas like heat.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 21:59 »
have you had problems with that batch of compost? i had problems with verve last year.

are they the same seeds (3 years old)? maybe try a fresh batch of seeds.

Hitwoman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 22:29 »
Thanks both.  The seed batches that I sowed last year were over a period of time, so would have been from several bags of verve -and this year is a new one. Other plants from the same compost also seemed fine.  I bought new seed this year, so maybe it is the greenhouse heat that they don't like?.  maybe I should sow more seed in the cold frame and water less?. Thanks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 16:19 »
Cabbages grow best outside, and once the seed has germinated keeping them somewhere in the garden suits them better than a greenhouse. I don't stand the pot on a tray, as otherwise the compost does get waterlogged after it rains.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jezza

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 22:51 »
hi the compost could be sourced from municiple compost  its not made in this country so could be mixed with any rubbish there was a cautionary warning 2 or 3 years ago that amino coprydol lawn weed killer was still active after 9 months of composting,this faulty compost may have been shipped abroad  then sent back as a compost mix always check by smelling the compost if it smells chemically then it could be contaminated   cabbage need initial heat to germinate then cooler conditions for growing on i used sow 10,000 a day from March to July if any failed to grow the boss was not pleased   jezza

Hitwoman

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 06:30 »
Thanks very much for this, I will check this out.  I have been collecting leaves for three years and this year tried growing seed in the sieved leaf mound, but I have a lot of weed seeds that have come up too!, so I am not sure what is a weed or what is a seed unless it's a spring onion!.  Thanks a lot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 18:19 »
Leaf mould isn't usually advised for seeds because of the bacteria and fungi that will be in it.

I think your problem is as already identified - too damp and perhaps too warm on sunny days.

Hitwoman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 22:17 »
Than you for your responses, but I am s bit confused now.  The leaf mold is three years old, and I have collected it because the RHS website states that it can be used for seed sowing compost.  Is this not a good idea then if there are potential bacterial issues?
Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 18:26 »
Leaf mould has a lovely structure which is suitable for sowing seeds.

However, seedlings once germinated are at risk of 'damping off', which is triggered by fungal infection.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=151

The advice from the RHS to avoid this disease is to use sterilised home-grown compost (or leaf mould) or commercially bought composts.

Hitwoman

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 20:25 »
Very helpful - thank you.

xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
Tomato failure

Started by GraciesGran on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 05, 2021, 06:56
by Growster...
xx
Garlic failure...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 05:15
by Growster...
xx
garlic failure

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 12:00
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 29 queries.