Food waste - I think I might have a problem…

• 21 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Food waste - I think I might have a problem…
« on: July 08, 2023, 11:11 »
I always have been a bit obsessed with not wasting food, but it is getting worse  :lol:

I did cheat a bit with these as I got the lemons, limes and the maderin oranges from work as freebies (on date, reduced and not sold), but I caught myself thinking I must pick up some more cheapo ice cube trays so I can extend my stocks if the opportunity arises ::)

Fruit zested with a micro plane grater and juiced, then put together to make juice and zest cubes. I got a lemon one out today to use in cooking and very useful it was to have on hand, but going a bit too far to save stuff or not… :unsure: 
IMG_5910.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Food waste - I think I might have a problem…
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 11:25 »
I used to do things like that and It's great if you have spare/enough freezer space  :)
I only have one under-counter freezer, now, so very limited on what I can cram in there.
Even doing my usual online shop, makes me double check available space before I push that buy button   :lol:  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 20:09 »
That's an interesting way of saving them. How many of each fruit were needed to make those ice cubes, do you think? And did you just use them in a drink, or another way?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 20:44 »
About 1 fruit per cube, but they were all fairly small whole fruits.  I am going to use the orange ones as ice in soft drinks like lemonade to add some zip.  The lemon and lime were intended for cooking, but I am now thinking they would go rather well with a G&T  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 20:50 »
Mmmm, niiiiice  :D

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 20:52 »
We do the same and add a couple to my insulated drinking bottle and top up with water or lemonade. So good on a hot day at work  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 09:37 »
We do the same and add a couple to my insulated drinking bottle and top up with water or lemonade. So good on a hot day at work  :D

Yes I was going to use the insulated bottle I take to the plot with me for the orange ones  :)

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 12:32 »
I must be as obsessive as you, New Shoot.  I have trays of frozen lemon/orange/lime juice, surplus basil blended with olive oil, anchovies, again plus oil,  etc.  I just can't bring myself to throw them away.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 07:10 »
I've still got two bags of frozen Thai Dragon chillis from last year's crop, in the freezer...

You'd think they'd defrost the thing, but it hasn't happened yet...

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 20:47 »
Husband just phoned to warm me that he remembered the milk BUT has alsovbought ten large trays of strawberries at 20 pence each and twenty punnets of plums, peaches and nectarines for 10 pence each.  Strawberry jam and other fruit will be cooked and frozen to be used overwinter.  He's got some other bits as well!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 20:58 »
While my brother and I were at piano lessons on a Thursday evening, Dad would trot off to Sainsbury's and buy up their yellow stickered meat.

He would proudly present it to Mum when we got home, and she would have to wonder a) what to do with it, and b) how to fit it into the freezer!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 06:08 »
And I made the biggest spag bol ever yesterday, with courgettes, some of last years' frozen peppers and toms, a fresh onion (!), 1/4lb beef mince and three frozen meatballs from a few days ago! (Mrs Growster has been in Pembury Hosp for a week or so, so I've got stuck in at home).

I reckon that'll be at least three single lunches and possibly four, to freeze!

Our feezers just keep giving, and now the stuff is coming on outside, I've got to keep up, haven't I?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 15:25 »
I know a lot of food gets wasted this time of year, but not in my kitchen.  I can’t stand to see it go in the bin.

Christmas lunch was a leg of lamb and it was lovely, but there is a limit to how much everyone wants when there are roasties, yorkshires, veg and gravy to cram on the plate.  Then of course they have their eyes on pud and choccies with their coffee  :lol:

Today I have made myself busy dealing with the rest of it.  Some is sliced for tea tonight, some is diced and has been made into a spicy tagine like stew to go over rice - that’s the leftover veg dealt with and another couple of meals for us. 

There was still quite a bit of meat on the bone, so it has gone into the slow cooker with water, peppercorns and veg peelings, carrot tops and tails and various other bits to make stock. 

The fridge looks a lot more under control and a good use of a couple of hours this morning which will save me cooking another day :)

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 16:30 »
Well we only brought back half the ribs of beef(I insisted on the bones as a perk) and 1 piece of the chocolate & ginger slice I’d made for pudding, as they’d got visitors again today. I’ve yet to slow cook the bones as that’ll be a job for tomorrow & the resulting stock will be ‘canned’. I made yesterday’s gravy with last years canned beef stock  :mad:, talk about frugal, oh I did bring the leftover baked Camembert & sourdough starter back as they were going to chuck it  :dry: so might have that for tea. We were going to have a rehash of beef dinner I thought with all fresh potatoes & veg today but hubby did jacket potatoes for lunch & fancies a beef sandwich for tea, so think I’ll have the sourdough & various cheeses & pickles & a bit of cold beef, wish I’d bought a pork pie now but then that’d be leftovers tomorrow lol.
The rest of the beef, gravy will be sliced cubed etc & frozen for some lovely dinners in the next few weeks
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 16:35 »
I really couldn't face it today, apart from a fry-up of left over veg with some cold gammon will be good for tea - but I will be sorting the rest of the fridge tomorrow  ::)
Luckily the remainder of desserts/sweet thingies have mostly gone home with friends and family members LOL

xx
Leftovers and waste

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

64 Replies
Last post February 03, 2017, 22:03
by snowdrops
xx
Turning potential waste into ingredients

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2016, 23:03
by chrissie B
xx
Food processors

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 19:39
by LILLILEAF
xx
Food vacuum sealer

Started by jambop on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 20:51
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 54 queries.