Marans

• 3 Replies

Silkysmooth

Marans
« on: March 12, 2011, 23:06 »
Hi All,

Just seen the beautiful eggs that marans lay and would love to keep a few. What are the best breeds for the darkest eggs? I've heard of french copper and blue copper marans but what is the difference?

I dont know if this allowed (apologies if it isnt) but does anyone know of any breeders around the north west of england or west yorkshire that sell good quality marans?

Thanks

Andy

Casey76

Re: Marans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:27 »
French copper black and English Cuckoo tend to have the darkest eggs, because these are the most common colours.

In the UK, people use the "French" prefix to state that the birds have feathered shanks, and therefore cannot be shown in PCGB shows.  The English standard required clean legs.

In France there are many colours which are standardised, including copper black, birchen (silver black) gold and silver cuckoo, black, white, wheaten, black-tailed-buff and colombian.

PM "darkbrowneggs" on here and she might be able to point you in the right direction.  Her English cuckoo Marans have some of the darkest eggs I've ever seen!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22 »
Hi All,

Just seen the beautiful eggs that Marans lay and would love to keep a few. What are the best breeds for the darkest eggs? I've heard of french copper and blue copper marans but what is the difference?

I don't know if this allowed (apologies if it isnt) but does anyone know of any breeders around the north west of england or west yorkshire that sell good quality marans?

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy - If you join The Marans Club (£6 to join)  the Year Book lists all the club members throughout the UK

The Poultry club only accepts the traditional English clean legged type (only because no-one has bothered to complete the process to get the French feather leg varieties  accepted), but you can show the French varieties at The Federation show as they are already accepted by The Marans Club of Great Britain, and there is quite a bit on info on the Marans Club Website

I have to agree with you on the eggs - best in the world in my opinion :) :)

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 18:23 by darkbrowneggs »
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 19:59 »
marans at www.poultrymatters.co.uk ---- they are near carlisle
Had to amend that sorry
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 20:04 by Geo »

xx
Marans ?

Started by BIG ZOOK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 19:46
by joyfull
xx
. french marans .

Started by john.r on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 14:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Marans in Lancashire

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 18:51
by Roughlee Handled
xx
How many Marans to a my coop!!!

Started by dusto on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 21:54
by dusto

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 37 queries.