Chicken-friendly weed and feed

• 11 Replies

sjsailing

Chicken-friendly weed and feed
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:40 »
Hello all!

Is there a chicken-friendly weed and feed product on the market? Our garden is overrun by weeds and the chooks are not really al that interested in gardening!

They have a large run and are let out onto the grass 2-3 times a week for a change of scenery.

Can anyone recommend anything?

SJx

orchardlady

Re: Chicken-friendly weed and feed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:11 »
Have a look on the back of the packet in the garden centre. There should be a phone number and/or web site to contact them by. I've always found these customer service people very helpful.

Orchardlady.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 15:53 »
You should have my hens - they've stripped it so clean it looks like the Gobi Desert!!  :D

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 21:11 »
I'd be reluctant to use anything chemical on the grass, whatever it says on the back of the packet, as you'd keep wondering if it was safe....

You could phone the company - or accept that you live with some weeds in the grass.

I think ours would best be described as 'natural' as we rarely use feed&weed due to hens and dogs.
ManicMum

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 21:18 »
Sheep

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48 »
Sheep

I'm not sure if they lay eggs....
 :D :D

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26 »
Could you split the area and do half at a time keeping the chooks off the treated area? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:13 »
Or you could do what I do - stop calling it a "lawn" or a "garden" and refer to it as a "farmyard."  That way you have different expectations of what it should look like - and weeds look perfectly at home!  :D  The chickens running around adds to the farmyard feel.  Now I just need an old gate with some lichen growing on it to complete the ambience.  :D

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 17:20 »
I personally wouldnt use anything with animals around.  My chickens strip everything bare!!  I use them to clear bits of garden as it makes it easier for me then!!   :lol:  Are they young?  Have you not had them for long?  It is strange for chickens to not want to dig everything up.  Maybe throw some corn or treats into the weeds and they might start clearing it while they are looking for the treats?  Sometimes when I'm clearing stones out of my chickens run they come over to see what I'm doing and start scratching beside me.  Maybe they need you to show them what to do!!  :lol:

sjsailing

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 21:26 »
lol - me on my hands and knees nibbling the daisies!!!!! Try explaining that to the neighbours!

My two girls have their hen-house and a very generous run (about 10m sq), they only get on the remaining grass when I am home.  I am happy to go about digging out weeds and scattering seed (when the girls are not looking!) to keep the place looking pretty but my hubbie was wondering about tidying up the lawn a bit ... I had to ask the question! Not sure I will be using any chemicals after the advice above.  The girls love a lawnmower full of freshly cut grass to play in and chew every couple of weeks, I couldn't deny them that!

The front lawn gets treated as it is under a big tree and wants for attention but we never put that grass in the chicken-run or the compost heap. 

Thanks for the help.

SJx

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45 »
Please be very careful giving lawn cutting to your chooks. Cut grass starts to break down very very quickly and could upset if not worse your chooks. Personally I wouldn't do it :)

kensington chicks

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 14:33 »
Hi all,

Just read Sassy's reply about lawn cuttings.  I have put lawn cuttings in my girls outside run twice.  I thought it would just be like them having some fresh grass?

I won't be doing that again.   :(

It just shows that reading through this site is so informative.  Thank you.

KC x

xx
Are there any chicken friendly lawn feeding/weed & moss killing treatments?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 11:35
by compostqueen
xx
Chicken Friendly Plants

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 13:35
by EJCTM
xx
Grass feed and weed

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 10:52
by Sadgit
xx
Weed and feed lawn treatments

Started by sylviaM on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 22:41
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 38 queries.