Will they eat my frogs?

• 26 Replies

Sparkyrog

Re: Will they eat my frogs?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 22:53 »
I'd leave them be...that's nature at its finest.  And your chickens get healthy, free nutrition that they can easily digest and utilize.  I love to see my crew eating baby snakes, lizards, frogs, etc.   That's all good protein I didn't have to buy and is providing nutrients that one just can't find in formulated feeds.   ;)

I create habitat just for these types of reptiles just so my chickens can benefit from that feast.
ROFLMAO your going to horrify some people !
I cook therefore I grow

Beekissed

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 23:00 »
Usually do.  I live close to nature and it has rubbed off.   :) 

LotuSeed

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 03:03 »
Usually do.  I live close to nature and it has rubbed off.   :)

Amen to that!! 🐍🐸🐌
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 07:28 »
I'd encourage them to eat snakes, shudder, :lol: but I don't think I'd be building nest areas for them, they might miss some :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 14:48 »
These are nonpoisonous snakes and they keep the poisonous ones from moving in, so they are beneficial to the environment while eating many pest bugs and rodents.  I like to work with the environment as much as possible to create a balance in our little world from which we all can benefit.

Providing habitat and watching over the lives of the adult nonpoisonous snakes gives me assurances that my chickens, dog and grandkids are safe on the land.  We haven't seen a poisonous snake on this land for almost 20 years now, even though they used to be here in great numbers.

Each spring I check the "housing" of the known snakes to see if they came back and are thriving well...lift up boards and pieces of old tin here and there to visualize them.  Then I put it back down and leave them be.  Each year I get a garter snake in the log shed and I get to see him sunning himself on the logs.  They are really beautiful and they serve a purpose, so I leave them be.    It's a good life!   

Sparkyrog

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 17:28 »
I have seen them kill and eat both rats and baby wild rabbits ! They do enjoy a proper varied diet  :)

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 17:55 »
Mine found a nest full of baby mice the other year and ate the lot!! They are also very partial to cat poo!! They watch the poor cats and as soon as they finish and move off the hens are in like a shot. We have a job to stop them. Yucky is not the word!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 17:57 by Jomtie »
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Sue33

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 13:12 »

my girls wont go near an adult frog - we had one a couple of weeks ago in their water having a dip  :D wish I'd taken a picture, gave me the fright of my life  :lol:

Beekissed

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 13:23 »
Mine don't particularly care for the adult toads either, though the little ones are fair game.  Just the other day the rooster tried to disable a toad and call over the girls for a snack...they took one look, gave him a look like "Are you crazy, man???" and walked away.  He took another look at the toad, stepped back and wiped his beak on the ground a couple of times before leaving the scene as well.  The toad shook it off and went his merry way.   :lol:

RubyR3d

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 07:53 »
Thankfully toads are poisonous and keep most predators at bay. Some South American natives wipe their arrow heads on a toads skin to coat it with poison. :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 09:50 »
Not surprised about them eating the baby frogs now I come to think about it but big ones thats crazy! The dark side of keeping chickens (and ducks) eh? Anyone any ideas on what to do with the frogs then? Should I maybe release them at the nature reserve down the road and give them a sporting chance with all the other beasties and birdies in this big bad world! By the sounds of it I think my 3 could wipe them out in an afternoon.

Better not to move them, there have been many frog poulations around the world wiped out by disease in the past few years so best to be cautious.

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 22:14 »
Some will survive

xx
chooks and frogs

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 18:42
by Helenaj
xx
Hens, ponds and frogs

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 13:55
by SusieB

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 38 queries.