Fruit

• 10 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Fruit
« on: May 07, 2011, 00:44 »
Can I feed fruit to chickens?

I have just started feeding them bits and pieces like carrot peelings, lettuce, etc.  They don't rush to eat it but it is gone when I go back later.

But I wondered if they will eat chopped apple, bananas, melon - that sort of thing.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 00:47 »
Mine love apples but did not like bananas.  Bit like humans!
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:53 »
Hi mine love water melon and go crazy for grapes, now its strawberry season they also like them! but with all treats not too many!! :)

Beakybird

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:37 »
Mine have all kinds of fruit and veg (I always cook the veg though as they prefer it that way). However, please remember never to give them avocado as this is poisonous to hens. I've read somewhere not to feed too much banana (possibly because they are very high in potassium?).

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40 »
Thanks for that.  I will try them out on different things. 

I was worried that some fruit could be poisonous to them - so I will avoid banana's and avocado and give them the basics.

Chickway

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35 »
When I picked up my first hens 3 years ago the breeder told me not to feed them raw potato peelings and lettuce.  Is this correct? Many thanks.

Beakybird

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 14:25 »
When I picked up my first hens 3 years ago the breeder told me not to feed them raw potato peelings and lettuce.  Is this correct? Many thanks.

Definitely not raw potato peelings (cooked is fine), however I feed mine lettuce in moderation - too much lettuce can give them a bit of a runny botty, so I've heard!

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 15:46 »
No citrus fruit. You can give it to them but they'll just not touch it.

Orchardlady.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 16:11 »
May i ask why chopped ? Hens are very adept at taking things apart and it gives them something to do for a few minutes, a melon rind will keep them amused for ages. :)

kittyb

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 20:46 »
my girls will take your fingers off for grapes,and yep why chopped ,keeps them busy chasing stuff around the pen,melon is a big winner too :lol:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:06 »
My pullets live under a couple of feijoa trees (I don't know if you grow feijoas over there?)  The girls will peck at the flesh if a wild bird has already opened the fruit, but they won't go through the hard skin to get to the yummy soft bit.

When I first picked my girls up from the breeder they were penned under a pear tree.  When I brought them home they had very sticky head-feathers from sticking their heads in pears.  :D

I couldn't persuade mine to try melon in the summer.  They seem to like banana though.  A lot of chickens like tomato, but not mine.

Basically, just like humans, they have their likes and dislikes.  Just try them on things once in a while and see what happens.  But make sure to clear away any uneaten fruit before it goes rotten as eating rotten fruit can cause serious health problems.

xx
Fruit

Started by RTB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 17:31
by princesspoultry
xx
Fruit

Started by walker on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 20:15
by 8doubles
xx
fruit and veg

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:18
by cluckingmad
xx
Hens and fruit

Started by tonyp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 08:48
by Sassy

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.