What mesh to protect Brassicas?

• 12 Replies

argonaut

What mesh to protect Brassicas?
« on: March 07, 2011, 00:03 »
Building some tunnels to protect Brassicas  - following this style:
http://kgarden.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/brassica-netting-against-cabbage-white-butterfly/

What mesh should I be using .... looked on :
http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Enviromesh_Insect_Netting.html

I had read that cabbage whites can lay eggs through teh mesh on normal mesh ... so would i need extra fine or enviromesh ?
Don't want to block water passage.
There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What mesh to protect Brassicas?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:47 »
I use debris netting as it's so durable compared to other meshes, but you don't have to.

The 7mm stuff would be fine to keep the butterfiles out, what you have to be careful of with any netting is that there is always a clearance between the netting and the plants.
If there isn't the butterflies can just poke the tip of their abdomen through any small hole and lay their eggs on leaves touching the netting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:25 »
This seems to be the cheapest way to buy the netting netting remember as the blog says to buy it wide enough to create height over your plants

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:50 »
There are actually some deals on ebay that are a little cheaper than that. It's that little thing called VAT that they slap on as you go through the ordering process that bumps their price up.

argonaut

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47 »
This seems to be the cheapest way to buy the netting netting remember as the blog says to buy it wide enough to create height over your plants

noticed thoiugh that this say  "considerably reduces rain and wind penetration "

is the reduction in water passage an issue.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 13:31 by argonaut »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:31 »
Debris netting, in it's normal usage is used vertically to stop bricks falling on people. Rain falling vertically will not get through.

However, a proportion of what you'll be putting up will be horizontal and rain falling on that will just run through gently. Many of us have been using for years and it's not an issue.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53 »
I use enviromesh and I buy it as and when I get some spare dosh, as it's a bit dear. I rate it though but it's only as good as the way it's used, eg no gaps to allow the peskies in.  If I see a butterfly under there it makes me curse  :D

I use it to keep pigeons and rabbits off.  Pigeons ripped my fleeces to peeces  :nowink:

argonaut

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 13:32 »
Debris netting, in it's normal usage is used vertically to stop bricks falling on people. Rain falling vertically will not get through.

However, a proportion of what you'll be putting up will be horizontal and rain falling on that will just run through gently. Many of us have been using for years and it's not an issue.

If you were buying mesh now, what would you buy ... enviromesh or debris netting ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 13:37 »
Horses for courses.

Given that Enviromesh works out at about 3 times the price, I have debris netting for brassicas and Enviromesh for carrots as it's much lighter.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 15:41 »
It is dear but I hope it will last a life time if I'm careful with it.  I have actually put it in the washing machine between uses  :blush: 

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:35 »
Horses for courses.

Given that Enviromesh works out at about 3 times the price, I have debris netting for brassicas and Enviromesh for carrots as it's much lighter.
So debris netting (does it go by any other name?) For brassicas. How about birds or is there a better or cheaper option for birds? Enviromesh for carrots (anything else it should be used on?)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 12:55 »
Soft knitted netting keeps birds out of our fruit cage very well and allows insects in for pollination when needed

This year I have grown leeks under cover of enviromesh too, which has kept Leek Moth etc out. I bought mine from an Amazon seller sending from Hong Kong, 10m by 2.4m for around £15, which covers two beds

I also put it over the cabbages, which kept out whitefly, as well as butterflies of course, and the mesh is too firm for their  pointy bottoms to penetrate ... best cabbages we have ever had
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 19:50 »
hadn't  give it a thought about using enviromesh for carrots because we haven't been growing carrots for a couple of years

we use enviromesh on our brassicas had no problems with the white butterfly just damn slugs I did find instead of plastic hoops I altered them to a square shape and that was much better I bought a roll of enviro mesh it cost me around £70 quid and bought 150 7ft canes with that to cut the cost of delivery charges that set me back over £140 quid  :ohmy:

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.