Pricking out chill seedlings

• 24 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: Pricking out chill seedlings
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55 »
That's brilliant Stompy, thanks so much.

I just sowed a second batch of leeks in modules today and this time put them outside the greenhouse covered with a plastic propagator lid.  I intend to pop them in the greenhouse at night for a week or two or until they germinate.  The first batch did not germinate as I had them on the windowsill - it might have been the fact that I got the seed packets two years ago and opened them last year, but do you think it more likely it was too warm on the windowsill?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 13:56 »
It could have been either. There are a lot of seeds that you can kill with kindness.

Have a quick think of where they are going to spend the rest of their life. In the case of leeks, some of your brassicas etc. they are going to sit outside all winter. Where in nature would they find a nice warm window sill to germinate?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

skewball

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 16:38 »
Hi DD
using your litter tray technique for Leeks and sowing in mid march (which is when I intend to) would you germinate inside or out. I have a small mini plastic greenhouse that I planned to pop them in.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 16:50 »
They start life in a COLD greenhouse.

garddwr

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 17:07 »
I sowed mine on the 17th of Feb and there in the house by a radiator and they still haven't germinated. Is this normal ?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 17:26 »
They start life in a COLD greenhouse.

Sorry if I am raising trivial points, but at this time of year a cold greenhouse can range from 30 degrees on a sunny afternoon (it gets to about that before the roof vent opens) down to probably freezing if I didn't have the heater set to frost free. 

I am assuming 30ish is way too hot for the leeks to germinate,  so that's why I am putting them outside during the day. 

PS  I have only just seen your fantastic leeks in the cat litter tray.  I could also have problems with the cats thinking it is their new toilet, so I will have a word with the kind people at Waitrose and get one of those nifty polystyrene boxes.  I am  going to pick up a piece of ginger root at the same time and try potting it up in the greenhouse - but that's another story :)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 21:09 »
I sowed mine on the 17th of Feb and there in the house by a radiator and they still haven't germinated. Is this normal ?

Some seeds germinate quicker than others. I sowed some sweet pepper seeds at the beginning of February - 3 germinated within a week, but one has only just popped up yesterday, just over three weeks after the others. All seeds were from the same packet. Had the same thing with my chilli seeds - but differences there seem to depend on what variety sowed - some came up within a week, but other varieties took longer - up to 4 weeks I think.

Longest I've waited before giving up was 6 weeks (though that was with Alpine Stawberry seeds that I knew I'd stored badly since purchasing 2 years before)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 21:12 by Loubs »

garddwr

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 00:21 »
right no sign of life afer 19 days so I'll wait until 21 days and goodness knows what ! I sowed 4 different trays all different variaties and 3 wilko one free pack this makes me wonder is there something in the compost ?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 14:56 »
Just picking up on a couple of points other folk have raised (not suggesting that I'm right, just putting my viewpoint)

I don't let my Toms, Cues, Peppers, Aubergines fall below 10C - I think a 5C limit is too low.

If the window ledge gets really cold (e.g. is behind closed curtains) then moving the pots into the room is fine - they don't get any light from the Window at night, of course, and they don't need it to be dark (they may need some dark, but if the lights are off when you are in bed that will do)

How many per pot? I put two seedlings in a 9cm / 3" pot. Books generally say "pull out the weaker one" once they have grown a bit, but I've never had a "weaker one", only two identical ones  (so feel a bit like a murderer!), so I now plant one dead-centre, and a "spare" towards the side. The spare gets the chop unless something happens to the main one.

When to move to a bigger pot? I pot on to a larger pot when the roots are just visible through the drainage holes.  I turn the plant/pot upside down - plant dangling down between the fingers of my hand and the lip of the pot resting on the palm of my hand, sharp tap, and the root ball drops out of the pot into my hand (i.e. it drops all of 1" or so). If the roots are not well visible around the outside of the root ball I put the pot back on and leave it a while longer.

I then pot-on to a pot which is 1.5" (sometimes 2") larger diameter. The roots fill the new soil around the outside of the rootball, so potting on often, and only to a slightly larger pot, is the general idea. But I find potting-on to a pot that is only 1" bigger (in diameter, so only 0.5" all around the root ball) is way too fiddly for my chubby fingers.

For things that will be potted on I use 3" pots initially, for things that will go straight out I use 3.5" / 9CM as that gives a bit more "holding time" if I'm note ready to plant out / weather is foul.

From my notes last year I sowed Toms on 15-Feb, potted-up (3") on 28-Feb, 4.5" on 07-Apr, 9" on 23-Apr, and into the greenhouse border on 23-May. Note that I skipped from 4.5" to 10" which may not be ideal, but they are kind ready to go out after 4.5" pots so were really just holding until greenhouse was warm enough in mid May. The plants are about 4' tall at that point - so if all you have is a windowsill don't start  them that early!

Chillies sown 15-Feb, potted-up 12-Mar t0 3", on 13-Apr to 4.5" and on 11-May to 6.5", plated out on 01-Jun (greenhouse border). Many people start earlier, but I don't think there is enough light.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 15:10 »
I sow all my toms and chillies into small quarter size seed trays and they go into a cheap window-ledge  propagator until they germinate

I pot them on individually into small pots when the 2nd lot of leaves open.

just goes to show that there is no 1 size fits all approach to this G Y O lark :D

xx
Pricking out Onion Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 09:38
by Eblana
xx
Potting on and pricking out seedlings

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 22:28
by Howard
xx
Pricking out celeriac seedlings

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 17:27
by Kristen
xx
Chill can they get Blight

Started by sea dog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:02
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 34 queries.