Help! Advice please. Chicken pulling out feathers

• 7 Replies

karenjayne

Help! Advice please. Chicken pulling out feathers
« on: February 20, 2012, 14:39 »
Hi.  My chicken i have had a year.  She suffered a broken egg, early on, then a  sprained leg.  Another egg broke inside her, last month and she seemed to be recovering, although she not laying anymore, but that i am not surprised at.  However, she seems to have started to pull out all her feathers, esp around her neck. I can see her pink skin now.
 My other chicken is ignoring her most of the time, and i am keep them seperate most days, but in sight of each other during the daytime. She still eating, but does not like to be picked up anymore.  sems to hurt her alot.  Any idea on what i should do?

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: Help! Advice please. Chicken pulling out feathers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 14:50 »
If she seems to be in pain it would probably be a good idea to get her checked out by a vet  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 15:19 »
have you seen her pulling out her feathers? She could be having a partial moult  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 15:19 »
Are you seeing her pull out the feathers?

I ask becasue it is still moulting season, and a partial moult often onvolves bare necks.

The other thing is, have a check under her chest and abdomen.  If she is bald there too, so might be thinking about going broody (and has pulled out her feathers to line the nest, and to ensure better skin contact with the (potential) eggs.

A third point, is that if she is pulling out the feathers and eating them, her diet may be a little low in protein.  this can be common coming out of winter, when hens come back into lay.  So you can add some non-medicated chick crumbs to the pellets, or feed some crushed soy beans, or a handful of mealworms a couple of days a week until she is feeling better.

The main point is, usually, unless there is blood involved, being a bit baldy is nothing to worry about, and isn't dangerous.

:)

kegs

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 15:40 »
Are you seeing her pull out the feathers?

have you seen her pulling out her feathers?

SNAP!   :lol:

karenjayne

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 17:03 »
First she does seem a little miserable, but only in pain when i try a pick her up.  I did think at first she was in moult,(as this is only my second winter with chicks) but i have seen her having a go and picking her feathers. When i did pick her up, she seemed to have loads of brocken ends of her feathers, making me believe she pulling lots out.   Could just be loose one, i suppose, but not sure.  They both been given some extra protein, esp with the cold weather we been having..  If is is a moult, then why is the second older chicken not moulting.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 17:06 by karenjayne »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 17:10 »
as she is younger it could be a partial moult. With the older one she could be moulting but only losing a few feathers at a time - not all of them drop loads in one go, with some of mine you wouldn't know they were going through a full moult yet others look almost oven ready.
What colour is the younger ones comb? Has it gone pale?
you say she is in pain when you pick her up, in which case are her limbs ok? Is her abdomen swollen or squishy? does she have a temperature?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 20:36 »
The broken ends of feathers you mention could be the new feather growth.  If you are picking her up it can hurt them when the new feathers are emerging.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

question
Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?

Started by BustersMum on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 06:05
by BustersMum
xx
can any1 help me please :( my hen is pulling feathers

Started by christianj04 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 22:08
by christianj04
xx
pulling out feathers and eating them

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 18:36
by joyfull
xx
Feathers in the chicken run

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 12:24
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 34 queries.