Advice on Guinea Fowl

• 2 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Advice on Guinea Fowl
« on: October 31, 2010, 13:46 »
Can anybody give me any advice on keeping guinea fowl please?  I've tried to find a decent book but to no avail I'm afraid.  I know they can be kept with chooks but I don't know what illnesses they may be prone to.   :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

orchardlady

Re: Advice on Guinea Fowl
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 14:27 »
I know very little about Guinea Fowl but the few things I do know are:

They are blooming noisy. There are some in our village and boy do they make a racket, far far worse than chickens.

They prefer to roost in trees and can be hard to recover for bed time.

You can occasionally get a right nasty one, aggressive but that can be said to of cockerels.

Good luck.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice on Guinea Fowl
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 14:41 »
I have 3 guineas which I hatched here using a broody hen, these 3 are great - they sleep in the cherry trees and are fine with the chickens. This trio aren't exceptionally noisy but they are still young. However previously to these I did have a pair of boys who were very aggressive to people and most of the chickens - each one had their own favourite chicken and would stop any other bird getting close. The noise from these two was very loud and from most of the day which didn't bother me nor my closest neighbours (who aren't that close anyway and their cockerels try and outdo my boys every morning). They are not and never will be tame with people so not a bird to get if you like to hold them.
There is a book that I bought about them which I got off ebay but I don't use it very much as I never found it very good, you could try contacting these people for more information:-

http://www.guinea-fowl.co.uk/

Just a few words of warning though - they are very difficult to sex and are not that great as guard dogs overnight - they go into a deep sleep which is how I managed to catch my two to cull them  ::).
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
ANY ADVICE, SICK GUINEA FOWL KEET

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 19:53
by CluckyChicken
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by mobyjones on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 03, 2007, 12:22
by muntjac
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by freefolk on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2019, 18:40
by 8doubles
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by Jessie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 10:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.