Putting weight on?

• 5 Replies

jinty1911

Putting weight on?
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:47 »
The girls are still broody and 2 of them are getting quite skinny.  Is there anything I can feed them that will help put some weight back on (excluding cream cakes and chocolate obviously)? :nowink:
Jinty

PaulineM

Re: Putting weight on?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00 »
Hi  :)
How long have they been broody, my girl is entering her 6th or 7th week and showing no signs of snapping out of it.  ::)
I give Betsy some pellets made into a warm mash first thing in the morning when I put her into her broody cage and when its time to throw her out of the cage to move around a little she usual goes and eats some pellets, then in the afternoon she gets her corn, if she won't go and get some herself I put some in a little dish and isolate her again and she usually eats it. It really is a palaver when the stay broody.  :(
I would guess getting them to eat their corn only might be more calorific but I'm only guessing.
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42 »
Grace started about 3 weeks ago.  Think she might be snapping out of it as she comes out the house herself in the mornings but tries to go back in shortly after.  Gladys started a week later and Cilla started last week.  They are locked out of house during the day but usually find somewhere to snuggle down.  Today I have put them in the garden and shut the run so they are patrolling up and down looking for away back in.  Earlier I had roof open and Cilla tried to get in that way.  Not daft eh?  ::)
Jinty

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 14:09 »
You're right there, Jinty  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 18:44 »
I found the best way to get them to put on wait was to feed them corn and tuna.  They love it!  :D

CC xx
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 15:40 »
They dont seem that bothered with their corn but love sweet corn.  Tried tuna and they only pecked at it.  Even tried Goumet Gold cat food but they never touched it.  Grace is definately out of it now (1 pile of normal poops in house this morning) so hopefully she will start gaining weight again.
Jinty

xx
Putting weight on the chucks?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 18:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
Going to try putting a photo on here.

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 23:13
by greenie
xx
putting slabs down in run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 16:46
by karlooben
xx
Putting Hens Together

Started by scampy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 19:16
by scampy

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 34 queries.