Cock Birds & Cat Boxes

• 7 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Cock Birds & Cat Boxes
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:42 »
Has anybody tried putting their cock birds within a cat box to help limit early morning crowing? I have a little man who is having a longer than anticipated stay (although he should be grateful as his brothers went in the pot!) and he is making an awful racket at 5 in the morning in the coop and then starts again at 6 in the coop and once let out at 7:30 doesn't shut up for 30 minutes (my neighbours are up by then so it doesnt worry me as much as the 5am and 6am crows). I have tolerent neighbours but this is pushing it so I'm trying to find ways to limit his volume until he moves house. He's a big boy - light sussex - and will need to put him in my fatcat cat box so he isn't too cramped and then I planned in putting him into the shed as this is at the end of the garden furthest from houses (field behind) as I can't fit a cat box into the coop with the girls. Any suggestions would be much appreciated  :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Cock Birds & Cat Boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 18:38 »
It took three attempts to get Bernard into the cat box - he didnt attack but struggled a lot and it took two of us in the end to capture him - each time he escaped he just ran and got back into his coop so was easy to recapture  ::) I've popped him into the duck house as there is loads of space in there for a cat box and it is also at the end of the garden so farther away from neighbours. Fingers crossed that at 5am the noise is less for the neighbours and you never know I may even get to lie in until 8:30 before letting them out   :ohmy: :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 18:56 »
Owww, please let me know how this go's Cara as my beloved Cockerel is making sooo much noise at stupid o'clock in the morning. So far no-one has complained but i just couldnt bear to cull him just cos he is doing what comes natural to him :(

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30 »
How did it go? :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05 »
It was wonderful - not a peep from the big lad while in it  :D :D :D I used a big cat box so he had space to turn himself round in it so it wasnt too squished for him but he couldnt raise his head fully back to crow. When I let him out he was so happy I got a cuddle and his girlies all flocked around him  :wub: Bernard then started crowing for Britain, but it didnt matter as it was 9am  :D He should be going to his new home soon, but at least I know that until then I wont be getting an asbo from his early morning antics!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 14:15 »
Fab!, now for my next question....did he seem distressed in any way other than the initial struggle to get him into the box?
Im so desperate for something to work , but i dont want him to be distressed....dont want him culled of in a new home either tho :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 16:52 »
Nope, happy as can be once we got him in there. He struggled because he didnt like the lower head height or being disturbed at bed time and as soon as he was snuggled in there he did his usual trilling and went to sleep - in fact when I let him out this morning he just strolled out and jumped up on me as he would any other day. I think with time he would get used to the night routine of being put in there and I assume your boy is also very tame so I can't see there being any problems  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 17:42 »
thanks ....i cant tell you how much better i feel now. i really love this little man, but he is getting very very vocal! it really is only a matter of time before complaints come in :(  there is an owl that sits in the tree above his coop and that sets him off crowing.....going to get a bigger cat basket tomorrow as i dont think he will fit in the one we have got for the girls, he is HUGE ;) Thanks Cara :) xx

xx
mixing cock Birds

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 16:41
by woodside farm
xx
Cock Bird has stopped 'Cock-a-doodle-dooing'! - Please help!

Started by johg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 14:05
by mumsy
xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
cock or hen?

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 22:11
by jonandjen16

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 34 queries.