Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?

• 19 Replies

BustersMum

Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?
« on: February 07, 2014, 20:27 »
We've recently acquired 3 girls: 1 Rhode Island Red and 2 Cream Crested Legbars.  All seemed to settle in pretty well and the Rhody started laying a couple of eggs a week.  She's definitely the boss and the others stay out of her way.  This last week though she's stopped laying and I keep finding the roost full of her feathers.  I can't image the other girls are pulling her feathers out as they are so wary of her so can only assume she's doing it herself.  Other than this she looks healthy and is eating her head off.  Any suggestions please?

grinling

Re: Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 20:34 »
sounds like moulting, which means she is at least 2 years old not a POL.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 21:17 »
Is the nest box full of feathers? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bravemurphy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 23:16 »
as grinling said molting probably.

I went in the coop the other day and thought a mink or something had been in there as there were feathers everywhere.

I had to count the chooks about four times to be sure one had not been savaged, three of them were molting  :D

Chrysalis

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:35 »
Could be lice?  We had a fabuous layer who was keen to pull out her feathers, but when dusted and then frontlined it stopped and she returned to full plumage. Might be moulting, though  :blush:

BustersMum

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 15:08 »
Thanks everyone.  I'll check for lice and( mites?) then.  What age do they have their first moult and can it happen at any time of year?  If she is that old she'll have a few years laying -won't she?  Oh dear, I feel such a novice!

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 17:10 »
they can moult at different times, depending on when they are hatched. you should get a few years worth, but it is impossible to know how old they are.
Lice look like yellow small rice and red mite is found on the coop in cracks, use a piece of white paper and a red smear indicates redmite.
might be worth dusting them with powder anyway, great for handling the birds and give them a look over at the same time..weight/eyes clear/breathing well. check legs are smooth, if not vasaline legs for a few weeks..scaly leg mite.
learning curve even with the experienced owners.

BustersMum

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 18:43 »
We've had a disaster this afternoon!  Put all fresh dry materials under the coop today where they like to have a dust bath.  They all got very excited and a scrap ensued.  One of them now has a great gash to the side of her head.  I've isolated her in a box for tonight.  Should I get it stitched or let nature do the healing? 

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 18:48 »
Sound nasty, not sure what to advise. I think that chickens know its winter and so fight for everything, thinking its in short supply, not realising that we doting owners are happy to fulfill their every need! My very placid three are acting up a bit at the moment, but thankfully no real fighting. I'm sure someone will be able to help you know what to do. Hope all ends happily.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 19:32 »
aw buster hope shes ok is it bad have you a pic of the wound. x

grinling

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 19:50 »
presume it has stopped, if so you could clean around it with a qtip to see the damage, don't clean the actual cut. might be useful to wrap hen in towel. Purple spray will help clean it and also help prevent the other hens attacking her wound.
do they free range or stay in a run all the time? you could hang some cabbages for some excitement.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 20:23 »
try and drip or wipe warm water mixed with a pinch of salt over the wound to clean it up if its near her eye id put anything like purple spray ointment on with a cotton bud, depends how deep split the skin is try the washing with salty water for a while x

BustersMum

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 21:41 »
Thanks.  Did try to clean it up but made the wound open up.  I'll get some spray in the morning for her and get her back in the coop as soon as I can.  Let you know how it goes. x

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 23:29 »
Second cleaning with salt water. If you think it needs a stitch you should get her checked out. Hope she's ok :)

BustersMum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 16:48 »
All's well that ends well (at least for now!).  Queenie much better after a quiet night on her own and spending the morning in an adjoining pen  - this prompted much comment from the other two!!  She is duly anointed and back in the coop, eating her head off.  It's a nasty gash though so I'll be keeping a close eye.

xx
pulling out feathers and eating them

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 18:36
by joyfull
xx
can any1 help me please :( my hen is pulling feathers

Started by christianj04 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 22:08
by christianj04
xx
Help! Advice please. Chicken pulling out feathers

Started by karenjayne on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 20:36
by ANHBUC
xx
Feather Pulling

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 09:42
by Debz

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 32 queries.