Potatoes

• 8 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Potatoes
« on: July 28, 2006, 22:30 »
This may seem a silly question, but I know someone else mentioned it the other day, so I'm not alone!

When I cook some of my fresh potatoes, even though I cook them fast, slow, in between, fresh from the ground, or store them for a couple of days, they mash up and disintegrate in the water.  And I know I'm not overcooking them because sometimes the middles are still a bit hard.  

Anyone know why this happens?  It happens on different varieties too.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 22:55 »
Some varieties just are too floury to be boiled. The Edzell Blue ones are supposedly very good for mash if you just steam the potatoes instead of boiling them. Then they're not taking on so much water and they don't get knocked around. Just steam them for the same amount of time as you would boil them for.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 23:05 »
Hi Heather, I've tried steaming them as well, and for less time than I usually boil for, and also they aren't anything special.  2nd earlies were Marfona, but it didn't happen as much with them.  Then my maincrop are International kidney and Maris Piper.  Maris I thought were okay for just about everything!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Potatoes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 09:22 »
It's been a funny year for potatoes - wet May and bone dry since. It must have an effect on them.

We noticed the Sarpo Mira potatoes were indestructable. Great for dishes with layers of potatoes, good mash but you need lots of butter and milk (or even cream) to get them smooth. Absolutely useless for roasting or chipping.

Our Arran Pilot (1st Early) seem fine boiled and make a reasonable roast potato as well.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 13:30 »
It happened lats year as well John, it must be something I'm not doing right, but I don't know what.

Also just dug up some Maris Piper, and a lot of them are being eaten.  There was a little wireworm looking thing on one of them, but in my veg expert book, they say wire worm make tunnels in the potato.  This loks like soeone's been nibbling at them round the edges.

I suppose I'd better lift them and pick out the best for storing, otherwise, there won't be any left to eat!!

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Potatoes
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:44 »
My first earlies; Duke of York, have a tendency to shed their skins and go to mush if you over-boil them. I've been steaming mine, but you still have to be a good judge of when to take them off the heat. If I do overdo it, they're great for Stovies. :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Potatoes
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
My first earlies; Duke of York, have a tendency to shed their skins and go to mush if you over-boil them. I've been steaming mine, but you still have to be a good judge of when to take them off the heat. If I do overdo it, they're great for Stovies. :wink:

OK - what's a 'Stovie'?

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Potatoes
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:47 »
Stovies;
Boiled tatties mashed together with onions and, usually, corned beef. Loads of variations, including using minced beef or venison instead of corned beef. Important to use white pepper instead of black, though.
Great way of getting rid of lots of spare tatties. :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Potatoes
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 14:27 »
That sounds like my sort of food - sticks to the ribs :)

xx
potatoes

Started by Bladerunner on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 19:05
by Yorkie
xx
new potatoes

Started by crichmond on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 12:07
by milkman
xx
New Potatoes and................

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 11:43
by HLS
xx
Potatoes

Started by ciderman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:53
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 38 queries.