Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

• 56 Replies

Oliver

Courgettes
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 13:49 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi SG.  I don't know if they freeze well
They grow 4 courgette plants - which lasts them and a few friends for the season, but they still eat a prodigious amount of courgette. As for freezing - they freeze well if fried first to a nice brown then they can be eaten as a veg in the winter. They also make lots into a soup base, which is frozen for the winter, adding the flavourings before serving  (cream cheese: eg President, or that rolled stuff they call 'Gas Main' dunno why!)
Try this site for a few recipes.
http://www.cholsey.allotments.org.uk/aALLOTMENTS/alothome.html O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Oliver

Yum Yum
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 11:55 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
Courgettes grated (About 2 large ones) I cup plain flour, 1/2 cup oil, 2-3 eggs depending on size egg 1 cup grated cheese.... mix together and  pour quite sloppy mixture nto a dish.... bake int eh oven until set. delicious hot or cold! PAmela  (in Spain who does not have an oven to cook this :( )

Made this last night, only difference was had a bit of roast chicken left over from the Caesar Salad they took on the picnic the night before. So put layer of the 'sloppy mixture', then a layer of chicken and pepper, then finish off with the mixture. Baked in oven for about 40 mins until set and nicely golden brown. They ate it warm with tomato and french bean salad. (I had some of the chicken - yum, my favourite).
Thanks Oliveview, a very nice dish and very useful for picnics, methinks, as it will cut in to very nice slices.

hermon

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 09:43 »
feta fritter,
i packet feta cheese crumbled , 2 gratted and salted courgettes and leave to drain for an hour.
boil 2 potatoes for 5 mins then leave to cool then grate in to a bowl with a handful of mint. rinse and then squeeze out all moisture from courgettes add to bowl add an egg for binding mixture mix togetther all ingredients add a touch of salt and pepper you can add some spring onion if you wish then make into small flat cakes put on baking tray and cook for about 20 miutes turning once. fab with sauted potatoes tender stem and asparagus  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feta Fritter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 15:14 »
Oooh, that one sounds nice!!!!

hermon

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 13:41 »
they are! do try it :D

milkman

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 09:27 »
Have been using a Hugh Fearnley-W recipe for my courgettes - slice them then fry very gently in frying pan with garlic and olive oil and a dash of salt till very soft (don't let them go brown), mash them with potato masher, keep on a low heat until nearly all the moisture has disappeared, stir in a good size dollop of double cream and some grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan works well) then mix with freshly cooked pasta.  

Used up 6 courgettes this way last night.  Have also mixed in lightly steamed french beans and peas to the final mix for extra yumminess.  This could be a good recipe if you have kids that think they don't like courgettes. :tongue2:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Marmaduke

Re: Yum Yum
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 10:39 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Quote from: "oliveview"
Courgettes grated (About 2 large ones) I cup plain flour, 1/2 cup oil, 2-3 eggs depending on size egg 1 cup grated cheese.... mix together and  pour quite sloppy mixture nto a dish.... bake int eh oven until set. delicious hot or cold!

Made this last night, only difference was had a bit of roast chicken left over from the Caesar Salad they took on the picnic the night before. So put layer of the 'sloppy mixture', then a layer of chicken and pepper, then finish off with the mixture. Baked in oven for about 40 mins until set and nicely golden brown.

There is a courgette plant on the plot that I have just taken over.  I brought a couple big ones home last night and made this with the chicken in the middle.  It was excellent and there is enough left to have tonight.  No cooking for me :D

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 14:55 »
I had a look in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls River Cottage Cookbook, and he gave an excellent recipe for courgette bruschetta.....which we now have as a starter for every meal ( we'll miss them when they're gone ! )

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 14:57 »
Whoops - sorry Milkman, hadn't noticed you post saying exactly the same as mine !!

MumoftTwo

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 19:27 »
Hi

Have just signed up, looking for solutions for our rampant courgettes.

Have been making some very scrummy courgette and bacon muffins if anybody is interested?
Used to have a handle on life, but it broke....

milkman

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 21:27 »
Great minds think alike Novice! 8)

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 21:56 »
I have 4 plants producing like there is no tomorrow.  But this evening I have planted another three!  WHY you may ask?  Well I intend to show them in September and the way they are at present they will have exhausted themselves - so I am playing a banker.  I will let you know how things go.
I just love the taste and am eating at least three a day at present.!
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

greenfingers

ratatouille
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 22:50 »
:wink: Hi my allotment neighbour gave me some of her courgettes and i made ratatouille with them.Soften onions & courgettes then add
chopped toms and simmer finally grated cheese on top DELICOUS!!!

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Cous cous
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 20:50 »
Chop em up in Cous Cous salads and dress all garlic'y also burn strips of them with a blow torch for the same sort of salad but burn off the skins of peppers with the blow torch as well and it will taste totaly different.

I'm blow torch mad :twisted:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 21:41 »
What do you do for a living hayles?  arsonist???? lol

xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
Courgette Tian

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2021, 12:19
by Potterer
xx
Courgette Convert

Started by bluealf on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

66 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 13:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.