Anyone got a yoghurt maker?

• 13 Replies

Yoghurt

« on: February 01, 2008, 18:52 »
I've got it into my head that this is my next must have item.

I'm torn between the Lakeland model and the Severin 7 pot model.  Are there any plus/minus points between having a larger system over 7 individual pots?

I'm after the taste of yoghurt I enjoyed in France many years ago, when you just sprinkled sugar on the top of freshly made yoghurt.

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 21:09 »
I had one maybe 10 years ago, I always found the yoghurt too jelly like and just not that tasty.... as I was a lot younger I lost interest very quickly, the yoghurt always went off so quickly too.

Individual pots or large amount probably is dependant on how much yoghurt you consume, the individual pots probably keep a bit longer due to lack in cross contamination

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 21:16 »
We used to have a 7 pot one by morphy richards made nice yoghurt as long as you followed the instructions and every thing was kept really clean, I thnk the individul pots may be best as you can just open 1 a day or as much as you need.
HTH
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:17 »
FWIW My method for making yoghurt:

I use a 2 litre wide neck cheap plastic thermos flask - bought many moons ago.

I use blue top milk - boiled 'til if froths up the pan then allowed to cool to room (edit that should read BODY temp!) temperature.  

Then I use a couple of teaspoons of the last batch of yoghurt mixed with a little milk first and then into the whole flask.  

I place a teatowel over the top of the mix and screw down the top over the teatowel.  (This absorbs any condensation and stops it dropping down onto the yoghurt.)

Then I drape a towel or something round the whole thing to insulate some extra.

Leave over night and next morning - delicious.

I kept the same strain going for over a year once.  Have been a bit more lazy recently and make less!

I eat it on breakfast cereal mostly.  Or mixed with homemade jam for fruit yoghurt.

<Goes off to set up another batch - but where's that flask?>
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Carilk

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 11:23 »
I find that Nth generation starters lose some of the original characteristics.  I make several batches using freshly bought live yogurt & then freeze them in small batches to use for subsequent batches.

That way I am only ever using a fresh 1st generation starter & yet hardly ever need to buy a starter.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01 »
nth generation stuff - no problems, if anything I found it well improved as each generation passed - it's probably  a personal taste thing.

As regards making yoghurt thicker, I have heard that you can boil down the milk before hand to make it more concentrated.  Either that or add some milk powder before the culture.   I've never tried either however.

Slenie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:02 »
Use a greek yogurt starter.  You can strain through muslin for an hour or so if you like extra thick yogurt.

I don't actually boil the milk (you probably should) since I found it readily picks up any burnt flavours.  Instead I heat to 115degs F in the microwave and then place on top of Aga hotplate covers.

With the EasiYo, you will be using COLD milk since it incorporates a water bath for boiling water.

wellingtons

I've found the ...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 15:31 »
... EasiYo yoghurt maker an absolute breeze.  I like the fact that it relies on a simple insulation method and doesn't need to be plugged in.

It makes about a litre and you can either go for their foolproof packs or simply make up your own.

It's quick, easy and cheap ... especially as WG has kindly donated the yoghurt maker in the first place!  And it's the freshest yoghurt you can get your paws on.

I make a couple of litres of week, one of which gets blitzed with juice to make smoothies.  The rest I eat with fruit or cook with or put on cereal.  It does encourage us to eat more yoghurt, which is not a bad thing.

To make a thick stand your spoon up in style yoghurt, I would use UHT whole milk with a couple of spoons of milk powder and whatever starter you can get your paws on.

I have tried the straining through a muslin style, but I've found that it's more like quark.  Probably because I've drained too much off or left it too long.  So I go for the idea proof option ...  :lol:

wellingtons

You need a yoghurt ...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:05 »
... that declares itself "live" and there aren't that many on the shelves, but any supermarket yoghurt specifically states that it is live will do the trick, and then you can keep back a spoonful of each batch for the next one.

I do tend to buy a new supermarket yoghurt every six weeks or so, but I've never had a problem.  You can also get live yoghurts from health food shops and farmer's markets.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 18:32 »
Desert spoonful to 2 litres does me fine.

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 11:15 »
I've got the lakeland one, its excellent we use it loads.  My kids have it in the morning with some rhubarb and ginger jam I made in the autumn.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 15:28 »
I just filter the home made yogurt without any activator. As it drips through the filter it gets gorgeously thick. Takes 4 hours approx then you can use it same as Greek yog or I use it for making dips

Apparently you can use the resultant "water" (which has drained out the yogurt) as a hair rinse. Can't vouch for it meself as I'm bald  :lol:

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 21:00 »
Hi i got an easiyo yoghurt maker for Christmas and finally used it the other day. I was impressed. I absolutely love it and its so easy to use.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:19 »
I've got the easi yo too and I use it all the time. I have made it with the flask method before I got the easi yo though  :D

xx
Yoghurt Maker

Started by willowman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:56
by joshwain
xx
EasiYo yoghurt maker

Started by makedoandmend on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 16:31
by makedoandmend
xx
Yoghurt??

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 08:20
by Patricia
xx
yoghurt

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 21:28
by michellela

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.