What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

compostqueen

Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #345 on: February 08, 2018, 20:41 »
Been in my greenhouses clearing out last year’s clutter and emptying compost out onto the  garden but mainly making space for the repairman to repair damage caused by a flying plastic chair 🙈😫🙄

All done and ready for the coming growing season. So, carry on cleaning continues. It’s my fave garden job, apart from compost stirring of course 😃

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: February 08, 2018, 21:13 »
The cover has been on for a few days now and already the temps are slightly higher inside than out, even without the doors fitted. The soil is drying nicely too, so all being well I'll be able to mark out the beds and paths tomorrow, put up the staging and if my arm injured arm is up to it start rough digging the beds to help the drying process.

Lardman

« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15 »
Oh dear it's that time of year again when I look in the GH's and wish someone would come and clean them out for me  :nowink:

I've put a few of the newly grafted trees in there as bad weather is forecast, binned the tatsoi ? which was flowering  :ohmy: and noticed there were a few self set physalis seedlings growing in the gravel path, might as well transplant those  :)

The air layered blueberry has woken up as have both the airlayered and rooted the figs, but attempt number 17 to graft the plums from the top of the garden onto a dwarf rootstock looks to be deader than a dead thing in a deadery  :mad:

The plan is to dig out the borders in the bottom GH this year as I've not done very well in pots and grab some living salads from the supermarket to get a jump on the season. And I'll have to confess to buying seeds yesterday  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2018, 17:57 »
There's still time if someone wants to come and clean the greenhouses for me ?   :nowink:

I've managed to get the border made in the bottom GH - I've gone with just one side at the moment, if it works out I'll go around in a U shape as I have in the top GH.  There's a nasty hard pan where the gravel has compacted things down so much so I couldn't get a fork or spade in (even standing on them  :ohmy: ) and there's no way Im swinging the mattock in there.

I've added 6" of spent compost and chicken poo for the time being to see if that softens it, as my only other option is a twisty, prongy, thing the old man bought and I consigned to the "it's not a real tool" side of the shed.

Sprinkled a few leeks in a mushy tub and although I said never again, the shop bought castano garlic I pushed into the old tomato pots looks to be doing well so that needs to be dealt with or at least fed. 

The top GH doesn't look too bad, just a few salads run to seed. I'll push the hoe over it, give it a good soaking and put in some carrots and a few french beans I think.

Mr Dog

« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2018, 16:17 »
There's still time if someone wants to come and clean the greenhouses for me ?   :nowink:

I've managed to get the border made in the bottom GH - I've gone with just one side at the moment, if it works out I'll go around in a U shape as I have in the top GH.  There's a nasty hard pan where the gravel has compacted things down so much so I couldn't get a fork or spade in (even standing on them  :ohmy: ) and there's no way Im swinging the mattock in there.

I've added 6" of spent compost and chicken poo for the time being to see if that softens it, as my only other option is a twisty, prongy, thing the old man bought and I consigned to the "it's not a real tool" side of the shed.

Sprinkled a few leeks in a mushy tub and although I said never again, the shop bought castano garlic I pushed into the old tomato pots looks to be doing well so that needs to be dealt with or at least fed. 

The top GH doesn't look too bad, just a few salads run to seed. I'll push the hoe over it, give it a good soaking and put in some carrots and a few french beans I think.

I had this problem in the large greenhouse I inherited at my plot. Spreading a mix of MPC and well rotted manure in a 2" layer and watering a couple of times a week completely changed things in less than 6 months with the worms doing the digging for me - you can now (if you wanted too) easily dig the ground with bare hands.

Lardman

« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2018, 22:20 »
Spreading a mix of MPC and well rotted manure in a 2" layer and watering a couple of times a week completely changed things in less than 6 months with the worms doing the digging for me

I hope you're right - it's a very hard "soft sand" pan and the soil in my sand pit is pretty lifeless unless you count ants.

More tidying up and re-organising today, I've not had 5 mins to buy some salads yet and for the life of me I can't find any carrot seeds in the seed box  :ohmy: Grafted some apples and put them in a shade spot and noticed the new blueberry is in full flower  :D Having failed miserably with hardwood and softwood cuttings I'm really pleased with the airlayering.

Lardman

« Reply #351 on: May 12, 2018, 16:44 »
Ventured back into the bottom greenhouse today - it's been a while.

Spread out the gravel I'd just piled in the middle when I dug the border and moved the benches back to the opposite wall. There's no time (or energy) left to dig the other side this year. Watered the figs they're doing nicely but no sign of fruit yet. The climbing beans are up - 100% germination  :ohmy: makes a change. No sign of the courgettes though.

The pan under the compost in the border was still as hard as nails, I've had to use the garden claw thing (surprisingly useful) to break up some holes for the tomato plants.  Planted out 2 sungold and 2 sweet aperitif the rest aren't ready, the 3rd shirley sowing has only just made an appearance so it late in the day for a crop.  After planting there still looked a really big gap at the back by the glass so I've added 2 pepper plants from some aldi sweet peppers I bought last year which tasted rather nice.

I'll fill the other gaps with whatever green leafy I can get to germinate at the moment that's just endives and radicchio. The jury is still out on how best or even where to grow this years cukes, along the glass, in the gable or in pots on the other side. The top greenhouse is still empty, but I've struggled to get them to grow in there in previous years the border is very sandy despite 8 years of spent compost and doesn't hold moisture well at all.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2018, 19:53 »
Discovered today that using wool pellets in the hanging baskets was a really bad idea as now the polytunnel smells like wet sheep  :(

Lardman

« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2018, 15:30 »
Picked some more cukes today  :ohmy: I'm not sure how much longer the plants will go on for but I really can't complain about them this year at all.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2018, 17:43 »
Mine have been fantastic this year, but are beginning to slow down, can't complain though - they lasted longer than the tomatoes  :lol: Who'd have thought it  ;)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2018, 22:41 »
Most of my chilli plants are still going great, despite the cooler night time temps.

Lardman

« Reply #356 on: October 16, 2018, 15:17 »
Last of the cukes picked this morning and another tub of Shirley toms. I've given up picking the sweet aperitif it's too much like hard work and the sungold finished a while back.  The aldi saved seed peppers haven't really ripened, which is a shame given the summer we had, they're picked and the plants trimmed back. I may try and overwinter them. It's clean up time really.

Overall what's done well has been excellent, certainly the best year in the bottom GH I've had. I'm not sure if that's the weather, the switch to commercial plant food or growing in the soil rather than pots.  :wacko: Certainly needed as I was getting rather cheesed off with the continual problems in there.

Lardman

« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2019, 18:13 »
For the first year I can remember the rats have dug their way into the top GH  :ohmy:  Along with removing the dead toms and pepper plants I've been having to set snap traps in there.  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #358 on: January 07, 2019, 21:11 »
For the first year I can remember the rats have dug their way into the top GH  :ohmy:  Along with removing the dead toms and pepper plants I've been having to set snap traps in there.  :(

You really have a problem with rats don’t you Lardy, doesn’t Max see them off.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2019, 18:06 »
You really have a problem with rats don’t you Lardy, doesn’t Max see them off.

.. enough to make me want to move !  :mad: I can't let Max that far up the garden because of next doors rotti.   :(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 19:29 by Lardman »

xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 57 queries.