My Butch Hen!

• 9 Replies

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
My Butch Hen!
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:51 »
Hi everyone,

Just getting started on the site, and thought I'd kick things off with my chickens.  I have three hens, all aged about three months: Biscuit the Araucana, Prissy the black Cochin, and Blanche the white Cochin.  I bought them from a reputable source at about age 7 weeks.  

Here's the issue... Blanche has always been a bit odd.  The man I bought her from sold her to me as a Cochin, but unlike Prissy (who looks like she is wearing a dress with all her feathery undercarriage) she has just a few feathers on each of her legs.  She also has an extra toe on one foot, which in my mind, is a little bonus feature. :)  The issue is that Blanche is getting progressively more butch!  She has always been the leader of the pack, herding the other two hens around or leading the way, calling when they're not near her, etc.  I figure this is all pretty normal, and they each have a distinct personality.  

However, in the last week she has started stretching her neck, flapping, and attempting to crow (comes out more like a squawk).  She has also started mounting Biscuit, though she hasn't gone for Prissy yet.  Blanche has a much larger and redder comb than the other two hens and her wattles are fairly pronounced as well, but no spurs or enhanced tail feathers.  I don't really mind if she's butch, and google tells me this isn't really that uncommon.  My only issues are whether she will lay (only time will tell here, I guess), and whether this will be a permanent problem.  In my city is illegal to own roosters in the city limits due to the noise, and she is starting to wake me up in the mornings.  Any thoughts?  Anybody else experience this?
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

too many girls

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45 »
hello and welcome, your Blanch sounds more like a cockerel than my Elwood does and he is a cockerel.......................... :(

too many girls

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:46 »
have you got any pics? it's the law here i'm afraid.

Foxy

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 15:05 »
Blanche is probably not a cochin either! Some breeds do have 5 toes though. :D

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
My Butch Hen!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 19:24 »
I'll definitely share some pics soon.  *runs to grab camera*

Roughlee Handled

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 19:58 »
Can resist saying this but the devil made me.  Now where have i read that?

WOW THAT CAMERA MUST BE ALONG AWAY AWAY.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 20:22 »
Hey Roughlee

Did ya notice how quick I was though Did ya Did ya???????

15 mins from taking the photo to on the post

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:44 pm   Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call ducks are very small they are a bantam breed if you've nothing to compare hem too it can be tricky just a mo I'll go take a photo of 1 of mine to give you an idea brb

Vember

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:00 pm   Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's me holding one of the 9 week olds, the adults are only a tiny bit bigger  

I know I know some of us have Toooo much time on their hands, but any excuse to take a photo of me babies & show off  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 20:24 »
Now no-one could accuse me of gratuitous posting of pics of my babies :oops:  :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Roughlee Handled

My Butch Hen!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 20:59 »
LMAO

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
My Butch Hen!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 21:18 »
Yes, yes, thank you for your patience everybody.  My running for the camera turned into a leisurely lunch.  Here are some pictures of Blanche and the other girls.

Here's Blanche in the sweetcorn patch with her girls:

Another:

With Prissy (and you can just see Biscuit's tail behind Prissy, too):

All three girls in the grass:

And a solo shot:

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.