What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 405 Replies

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17 »
Put up some shade netting on one side of the house as the thermometer was telling me it was getting to 40+ will net the other side as well if one side proves not to be enough.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Lardman

« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2014, 18:53 »
Cleaned off the nixol from the bottom & middle panels of the bottom GH. It blocks out the light well on a bright day but doesn't doesn't clear at all in the dull and only slightly when wet - Im afraid I give it a big thumbs down.  >:(

Picked 1 ripe sungold but nothing else today as Im trying not to kill anything more ::)

mjpalin

« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2014, 21:58 »
Plot 33 - Moved the strawberry tower outside now that it has finished fruiting for the year. The bush toms were getting out of control behind it! They have now been tidied up, and it's amazing how much bigger it looks!

Lardman

« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2014, 19:09 »
Massive clear out today.  :)

Everyone got a a "short back and sides". I binned the fandango and one Ace 55VF plants, nothing had set on either. I checked the other ace 55VF and every single tomato had blossom end rot  :mad: So that's off the list for next year, the black Russian are on thin ice too.

Took a couple of the sickly looking bell peppers up the top greenhouse and put them in the border where Id removed the dwarf beans from - Potted on my 2 replacement isnik cuckes and put them on the bench as flowers are forming  :)  Picked a few shirley but they've split too I really am struggling with the watering this year.

At least now I can get in there without wrestling with branches  ::) Might clear up the top GH tomorrow if I get 5 minutes.

mjpalin

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2014, 21:44 »
Realised just how cold it was last night (i'd been chilly indoors, but hadn't realised how cold it was out) 6.6 in one g/h and 8.1 in the second (didn't think to look in the third)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2014, 15:21 »
Picked loads of toms, a couple more cukes and tied back the aubs which are going mad! There is at least a dozen fruits forming :D

Lardman

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2014, 17:13 »
Now wrestling with spider mite  :mad: So far the bell peppers and jals have succumb and despite my best efforts it looks like the rest of the peppers aren't long of this world.  >:(

I shall feel completely justified letting off a sulphur candle in there at the end of the season or when everything is dead (whichever is soonest) !

LilacSandy

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2014, 19:43 »
Tomatoes are still looking very green and fresh so I am leaving the leaves on and just taking off the ones under the bottom fruit. 

Cucumbers are about had it so will wait for last couple of fruits and then discard.

Aubergines are wonderful this year and I still have about six fruits ripening.

Melons from last years saved seeds are doing well and I should have several fruits and last year they kept well.

Peppers and chilies are ripening well and I have already had loads of fruit, lots of sweet peppers have gone into the pasta sauce, and lots of chilies are drying.  Last of the Basil will be picked and dried this week.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2014, 18:15 »
That's it - the big seasonal switch over has taken place.

The tomatoes have finished now and there were only a couple of green fruits on the whole lot, so out they came today.  The peppers were almost all red, so they were picked and the plants have gone.  Same with the cuamelons.  The leaves on these were actually yellowing and starting to drop.  Only the chilli and some parsley seedlings left in there now.

The decks are cleared for the final harvests from the plots to dry out - onions, dried beans and squashes will take up residence soon and I'll move the fig back in at the weekend and maybe start a few trays of salad greens  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2014, 18:28 »
I sowed some cyclamen seeds, some stir fry greens, some winter salads and some spinach beet. :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2014, 19:36 »
Repotted up some Coriander and some lettuces, found a caterpillar on the basil  :ohmy: admired the red chillis.  What with the Aubs it feels like the Mediterranean in there (well not literally)

Lardman

« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2014, 10:20 »
Clean out day in the bottom greenhouse, it's time to say goodbye to the tomatoes.  :( Special mention this year to 'sweet aperitif' which despite a slow start has produced literally hundreds of very tasty cherry sized, meaty fruit. I've already ordered a new packet of seed for next year  :nowink: I think they will replace my sungold as the safety cherry in case the more exotic fail.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2014, 18:22 »
Clean out day in the bottom greenhouse, it's time to say goodbye to the tomatoes.  :( Special mention this year to 'sweet aperitif' which despite a slow start has produced literally hundreds of very tasty cherry sized, meaty fruit. I've already ordered a new packet of seed for next year  :nowink: I think they will replace my sungold as the safety cherry in case the more exotic fail.
Ok I heard that, thanks for the tip- just can't get my head around sungold, they taste nice but just look so.... wrong!

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2014, 15:55 »
I presume it was a cat that got in my p/t and  tipped over some tall staging that had newly potted plants in them (yesterday, in fact).

I've spent half a day clearing up the mess - plus making a more secure door!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2014, 19:31 »
just a casual walk through and pulling any young weeds that appear over night! the garlic has made its first appearance too.

:)
Best Regards,

spud

xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 57 queries.