Using an Allen Scythe

• 2 Replies

ihusker

Using an Allen Scythe
« on: July 17, 2007, 23:34 »
Has anyone had any success with these beasts? I have small meadow of about a third acre attached to my house in France. As I'm not there permanently yet, sometimes its 6 weeks before I can get out to cut the grass. Anyway, last year I bought an Allen Scythe and took it out ready for the next onslaught, thinking this would be the answer. When I went out in June, the grass was about  a metre high so I thought this would be the ideal time to try it out. The scythe cut well but the grass was so long it just fell over the scythe and it was like a mini haystack trundling along and I had difficulty in preventing it from escaping into the undergrowth. I then tried the offset cutter, thinking that if it cuts to the right of the main body of the machine, the cut grass isn't going to fall over the top of me. This was all good in theory but the extra drag of the offset cut caused the machine to veer to the right all the time and the only way I could control it was by holding my right hip against the handlebars. It was very difficult to keep in a straight line and after about 15mins I was knackered, so I gave up, put it back in the garage, and got out the Westwood and bulldozed it down like I had done in the past. Unless I'm doing something wrong it looks like it will stay where it is until it rots or else I bring it back and stick it on Ebay. Any suggestions?

Bigbadfrankie

Using an Allen Scythe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 19:19 »
Some of these had a large deflecting shield on. See the howard currently on ebay.
always have a target
and an objective.

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
Using an Allen scythe
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 21:12 »
I used the things in the 1960's, on contract on large areas of grass. I never got one to work properly, we had several. The cut grass grass either fell in front of the blade and blocked it or was pulled up by the roots. They also turned over when working on hillsides.

They are now 'vintage' and very collectable - stick it on e-bay, never buy another one, don't even accept one as a gift!

xx
allen scythe

Started by dwdwdw on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 17:44
by dwdwdw
xx
Oxford Allen Scythe

Started by Clarky86 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2017, 09:18
by 8doubles
xx
Allen sythe

Started by mick on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post October 14, 2006, 21:17
by muntjac
xx
Anyone know what size allen key is needed to remove CL.311

Started by shrimp on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 20:30
by shrimp

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.