Limestone flour

• 9 Replies

Livinhope

Limestone flour
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:51 »
We have three chickens whose egg shells are very thin.  How much limestone flour would you add to their mash daily?  I know they can only have it for a week at a  time but how oftem do you repeat the process?

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
Re: Limestone flour
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:16 »
If you get Poultry Spice, this has limestone flour as its base, plus a few vits and mins thrown in. You'd probably need a level egg spoon worth stirred in with their night corn. An egg spoon is approx 2.5mls. Any chemist sells or will give two ended medicine spoons, one with 5ml one end 2.5 the other. A small tub will last eons. I use it for mine every autumn, through winter alongside CLO, but for a different reason.

Hope this helps your question

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:22 »
Thank you so much for the info.  I thought the query had been ignored because someone must know the answer.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 17:42 »
Hi livinhope
How long have your chucks been in lay?

It could be the moult coming on at this time of year.  Also be careful about giving them extra calcium if the food you are feeding has the correct amount of calcium already added. 

If you want more information about The Moult PM me.  By now I should be able to reply - if not try
ssc  at  cmail  dot  co  dot  uk

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 19:00 »
We've had them nearly a year and they had just started laying when we got them, I do know we weren't conned because I've known the people we got them from for years.  In actual fact the shells seem to be getting a bit better just lately.  Not perfect and hard but definitely not soft just a bit thin.  After reading some of the things about limestone flour I am a bit dubious about using it.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 19:25 »
Hi again- If they have been laying for about a year, then it is quite likely they will be about to moult, that July/August/Sept time is the most usual for birds to change their feathers.  In the normal run of things the breeding season is over, the chicks are pretty well feathered and looking after themselves so the adults now have time to take a break and change their feathers ready for winter. 

Good layers will generally get it all over in one go.  Less good will change their feathers a few at a time all through the year, so a tatty looking bird is often a better layer than a fine sleek one  - she has put all her energy into looking good!

It generally takes a few weeks to change feathers, if it is a non-utility traditional breed it will probably go right off lay and if it is late in the year may not start again til the days lengthen in January.  With a hybrid you might still get a few eggs, though with thinner shells.

Check the calcium content of your feed, and always have shell grit available, then they can adjust the quantity to their one needs.  Also dried seaweed meal in a little feeder gives them access to extra minerals if they feel they need them.

I don't use salt in my cooking much, and every so often I long for a boiled egg with salt or a bacon sandwich, once I am salted up again I am fine, I think animals know when they are missing something.  That's probably what leads to so much human obesity nowadays, The goodness we require is not in mass produced food, and our bodies are just crying out for the correct nutrients, while we just think we feel hungry and eat more - never felling satisfied

All the best with them
Sue

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 19:53 »
Very many thanks for all the information.  The hens are black rocks.  I do actually understand the animal mineral/nutrient thing, well at least in relation to dogs and horses,  they will seek out various things if they are lacking in something.  I know a horse will sometimes lick a piece of rusty iron or tin if it gets the chance and our dogs are always nicking lumps of coal.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 20:54 »
It all makes sense now! I have to eat chocolate and feel so much better afterwards  :lol: :lol:

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:23 »
It all makes sense now! I have to eat chocolate and feel so much better afterwards  :lol: :lol:

Its the potassium in chocolate our bodies crave at "certain" times  ;) but there is more in a banana!! But boy does a wee box of Thorntons hit the spot......far more enjoyable than a nana  :D :D :D

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:47 »
Someone here who doesn't like chocolate.  I like choc cakes, ice cream, drinks but not box or bars of.   :wacko:

xx
limestone flour

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 13:04
by nicky d
xx
Using Limestone flour

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 22:06
by joyfull
question
Limestone Flour

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 16:02
by taximan
xx
Lime Stone Flour/Powder

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 18:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 34 queries.