Is my girl just having a rest? (Egg frequency)

• 5 Replies

Wheelchair Gardener

Is my girl just having a rest? (Egg frequency)
« on: April 29, 2009, 14:48 »
Hi all

3 weeks in and loving keeping the chooks, not sure if I am being a bit paranoid though.
We have 3 birds, 1 of which is laying, the other 2 are not at POL yet.
The one that is laying has been laying almost every day since we got them, with the occasional day off, and this week she hasn't laid an egg since Sunday.
She is usually quite regular, going into her spot around 12.30 - 1pm, scratching around getting comfy then doing the business, but not yet.
I have scoured the threads here and on other forums about being eggbound etc., and none of those things seem to apply, she is her usual, lively, active self, doesn't look swollen in her abdomen (we just tried to catch her to have a feel but couldn't ger her!)
The only difference for the girls is that I moved the coop and run a very short distance in the garden so they had a bit of fresh grass, I wonder if that could have put her off her stride a bit?.
Any advice etc would be welcome as I have some delicious looking bacon from the farmers market in my fridge, it just needs some eggs to go with it  ;)

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Re: Is my girl just having a rest? (Egg frequency)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 15:50 »
Our girls were as regular as clockwork then we got the new ones and they stooped :nowink:Then started again  :D then stopped when we built them a new run >:( now all are laying even the new girls :lol: Yippppeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Don't think they all lay every day but no expert

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 17:39 »
Any stress can stop them so maybe she is feeling a bit put out by having to walk a few extra steps to the nest box. ::)

I know ducks hate anything to move but I thought hens were more flexible. Could she be overweight if you feed treats ? Only non-medical thing I can think of.

Rob 8)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 21:40 »
I think they can be a lot more sensitive than we think. My boyfriend put off our best layer for two days just by opening the nestbox lid. I've told him to count hens before looking in there! She was the same one that laid softshelled eggs for a week when the fox was scratching around. Nic.

Wheelchair Gardener

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:18 »
Normal service has been resumed, just went out to check and found a lovely egg, no idea why she had a few days off, chickens eh!  :nowink:

sminky

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:25 »
Good news. :)
 I'm hoping the one we have on laying strike resumes soon. Only had 2 eggs a day from our 3 since Sunday. I can't see any signs of her being egg bound and am hoping it's just that they are missing Snowy who died suddenly last week :(

I note you are from Nottingham. We are close to you in Long Eaton :D

xx
Flubenvet - frequency of treatment?

Started by hendreary on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 18:42
by dizzylizzie
xx
Joining the rest- what age is best?

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 08:46
by Casey76
xx
First egg hatched - how do much time do the rest have ?

Started by Madclucker on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 13:30
by GrannieAnnie
question
Hurt leg - do I make her rest?

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 09:31
by Blarney

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.