Probable daft question..

• 2 Replies

tonel

Probable daft question..
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:57 »
Apologies if this has already been asked (or if it really is a daft question) but I've been wondering about bare root plants - have recently planted some raspberry canes and strawberries out on the plot, I know they are dormant at the moment but am wondering if this just applies to above ground growth or wether they will grow more roots over the winter - or is it the case that they will literally just sit there as is till the spring before starting to grow again? Am curious to know exactly how it all works - any help gratefully received :)

(and whilst I'm at it - I have a few bare root strawberry plants left over, going to stick them in containers - what sort of compost would be best? Have some regular general purpose stuff and also some JI no.1 available to use..)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Probable daft question..
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:14 »
In the relatively mild temperatures most of us have been experiencing recently the soil is still warm enough to allow the roots of even dormant plants to establish and grow to some extent.

JI no.1 will give you a more stable growing medium than just multipurpose compost because it is soil-based, but will still run out of nutrients fairly quickly and eventually need feeding (but not at this time of year!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tonel

Re: Probable daft question..
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 14:24 »
Thanks for the advice - have potted them up in a mixture of both along with some small stones in the bottom for stability/drainage. They seem to be decent sized plants, hopefully they will make it through the winter and do well next year (along with the rest out on the allotment!)

xx
Daft Question 102

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2006, 23:51
by John
xx
This may be a daft question but.......

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 11:09
by garddwr
wink
Daft question of the day...

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 10:22
by Goldfinger
xx
Daft Pea Question

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 22:05
by DD.

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 34 queries.