Ant colonies in some of my beds..HELP!

• 9 Replies

Greendream

Ant colonies in some of my beds..HELP!
« on: May 26, 2010, 20:30 »
I had two beds covered in black plastic sheeting to prevent weeds getting to them before I was ready to use them.....today, to my horror I uncovered them to find 2 huge areas in one bed and one in the other that was full of ants!  :ohmy:
That wasnt bad enough...I began to notice that in the very fine soil the ants had created, there were loads of what looked like larva, orangey coloured and about a cm long. the ants in one bed were all orange ones and in the other some were black and some were orange. Urghhh!    >:(
My old neighbour who is a fountain of knowledge said to spray with antkiller asap, which I did, but they didnt seem to be dying quickly and now I am panicking about that larvea...hope its not aphids ready to eat all my beans that are on each side of the bed!!!!

Anyone else had this problem? What is it? What caused it and how do I deal with it???

All advice taken..... :)

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
Re: Ant colonies in some of my beds..HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 20:34 »
generally not a problem if its ants, they don,t do much harm to growing plants.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 20:35 »
I havent had this problem exactly but found the ants have made a home by my raspberry canes and turnips
im wondering if its ok to use ant killer by my veggies or will it harm them  :)
also they did harm to my turnips last year and i dont want them to suffer the same fait
cheers
PP.  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 22:54 »
I would personally avoid using antkiller near crops as you don't know whether it will be absorbed either directly by plants, or indirectly through the soil and subsequent take-up.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14 »
Just a comment, no help really, but I hate ants with a vengence, but at the same time I respect them. I believe they will still be here on earth long after we have blown ourselves to smithereens.
I read somewhere that ants and humans are the only two species on earth that wage war against their fellow creatures.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:46 »
I really don't think that it's necessary to get too stressed about ants - they do 'heard' aphids but other than that they seem to do quite a lot for my soil, and little other harm in the garden. When I uncovered the land that I'd kept under light-excluding mulch for a year I'm convinced that the mumerous ant nests had improved the drainage and had contributed to producing a decent 'tilth'. Regarding the larvae - the birds love them, although the ants do bury them again fairly quickly, however a quick 'forking' brings them to the surface again, and after a couple of weeks the ant population is much reduced. Pain in the neck (or the groin!) on the lawn when you want to sit on it in shorts mind you...

SS
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:48 by Swing Swang »

Apostrophes

• http://www.richard-seymour.net
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:24 »
I often stumble across ants nests on my plot. I found that once unearthed they tend to move on within a couple of days.
The idiots are winning.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:27 »
Ants cause huge bald patches in my lawn.........

Greendream

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 15:26 »
Thanks for your replies! Put my mind at ease!!!!  :)

I somehow got it in my head that there was gonna be millions of aphids eating everything in sight because of the ants!!!! Doh!
They have made the sol beautiful and fine which is a bonus!  :)

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 22:24 »
If aphids do become a problem, and you haven't eradicated the ants, you could try Bob Flowerdews idea, of feeding the ants sweet stuff by dabbing it on the affected plants. The ants will lose interest in farming the aphids for the honeydew, and eat them for the protein instead!  :ohmy:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Big beds

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 23:53
by SkipRat
xx
Re-using beds.

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 11:05
by Apostrophes
xx
what to do with used Veg beds?

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 08:33
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 35 queries.