Watering

• 4 Replies

Zippy

Watering
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:53 »
I have been getting up extra early to water my veggies in what has been a fortnight without rain. Soil is quite dry and it is sandy soil we have in this part of Cornwall.

The question is, have I been watering too much? I have read that I will end up with more leaves and few fruits on peas and beans and that it is better not to water brassicas (sprouts and broccoli) too much to make sure the leaves are tougher against slug attack. Onions it seems do not need too much water either. So would my early morning trips to the lotty be better spent weeding or other?

It is June and the Runner Beans still have not climbed to the top of the bamboo frame (6 feet). I thought this was due to lack of water and have been watering to the roots via sunken 2 litre pots - about 7 litres per 4 plants every morning, but no big growth to speak of. Any ideas? Liquid feed maybe?

Maybe a table or rule of thumb for how much each vegetable needs and when, would be useful to us new gardeners?

SalJ1980

Watering
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:01 »
I'm a bit confused about watering too. I know that you shouldn't do "little and often" as that stops them putting roots down deeper to look for water, so a "good" watering less regularly is better.

But I still can't work out how much water a "good" amount is!
Sal

Organic...so far!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Watering
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:18 »
We give new plantings  a good soaking ,about a third of can of water per plant. After that they are on their own .We have clay soil which holds water ,on lighter soils you may want to add compost, shredded paper anything that will help to hold the water .
 Anything in pots and containers will need regular/daily watering ,unless it rains !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Watering
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37 »
I only water when the plants show signs of needing it or while they are establishing.

You must encourage the roots to go down to seek water of they will suffer in any dry hot period.  Over watering also leaches nitrogen from the soil causing poor growth.  Wet soil may also cause root rotting.

gobs

Watering
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08 »
Sounds like you are over-watering them a bit. :wink:

Some vegies that need a lot of watering are cauli -especially when curding-, celery, radish, spinach and other salad leaves.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:08
by sunshineband
xx
watering

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 14:23
by Nikkithefoot
xx
watering - how much and how often?

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 21:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 35 queries.