Seed catalogues

• 6 Replies

Alec Powell

Seed catalogues
« on: October 14, 2006, 23:00 »
I suppose by now that everyone will be receiving their 2007 seed catalogues. I have been perusing the following :
DT Brown
Robinsons
Edwin Tucker
Simply Vegetables
Kings

The best "value" that I can make out is from Edwin Tucker. However the quantities are far too great for an indvidual like me
Robinsons, IMO, is great for the big stuff but you do seem to pay for it.
Simply Vegetables seem to be pretty reasonably priced but I have not tried them before.
DT Brown is a popular seed provider on our site but I find it has nothing for me personally
Finally Kings. It seems to me to be the preferred supplier of seed to the NSALG and is very reasonably priced on most seeds.
There are obviously more, but I do not bother with Suttons, Fothergills or T&M as their seeds always seem to be readily available at the main distributors
Alec Powell
Watlington
Oxfordshire
"Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards"

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Seed catalogues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 23:42 »
I get most of mine from Edwin tucker Alec, I know here are a lot in the packets, but lots of things will last for several years.  The only one that is a shame is there are soooo many parsnip seeds and they only last the one year.  I've got loads of seeds left, but I will try them next year just in case.

Have you looked at Alanromans.com yet?  Their seeds are only 50p a packet, and they used to say buy 10 packets and get free P&P, but I think they've had to put P&P on now, about 80p or something.

I tried their Tasty Burpless Green cucumbers, country fair cucumbers and aubergines, and had really good results from them.  I'm not so keen on the country fair cues, as they are short and fat, prefer my cucumbers long and thin!!!  but cues are still producing, even the one that is outside, (the rest are in the polytunnel, and I had an odd aubergine that was still in a small pot in the greenhouse, put it out and its got little aubergines on it too now!!!

noshed

Seed catalogues
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 19:55 »
I think Kings is good. Garden4Less seems to sell T&M stuff cheap too - a limited range but worth looking at.
Must have a look at Alan Romans.
I must say people on this site have been very generous to me with seed swaps - the best source of all!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Alec Powell

Seed catalogues
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 20:48 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I think Kings is good.
I must say people on this site have been very generous to me with seed swaps - the best source of all!

Think I agree with you there noshed. Sat down last night and worked on my seed list for next year. All my seeds from Kings came to about 20 quid. More than enough for me and, as you say, seed swapping could be the best bit about this forum/website :!:
I will certainly look at the other suggestions that people have very kindly given me.
Cheers all,
Alec (planted wallflowers today and baked some chiabatta) Powell

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Seed catalogues
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 00:19 »
OK - breaking news. Having thought about the buying seed thing and going through various catalogues, I'm combining some to make it easy to compare. Should be online next week. Turned into a bigger job than I expected but I got so much done I don't want to give up now.

Maybe even send one of my famous inarticulate emails to everyone when it's done  :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Seed catalogues
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:18 »
Quote from: "john"
... Maybe even send one of my famous inarticulate emails to everyone when it's done  :)

Thanks John, thats very generous of you. Look forward to it. O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Alec Powell

Seed catalogues
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 11:04 »
Quote from: "john"
OK - breaking news. Having thought about the buying seed thing and going through various catalogues, I'm combining some to make it easy to compare. Should be online next week. Turned into a bigger job than I expected but I got so much done I don't want to give up now.

Maybe even send one of my famous inarticulate emails to everyone when it's done  :)

What an excellent idea John :!:
If you need a hand with this I could collect some data for you from some catalogues. I am in the envious situation where I can obtain most catalogues from my customers when they have finished with them. One of the perks of being a Postie :)

xx
Seed Catalogues

Started by Helen_uk on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 22:19
by Porffor
xx
seed catalogues

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 19:48
by Sally A
xx
seed catalogues

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:09
by neal
xx
Seed Catalogues

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 06:27
by FatGaz

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 38 queries.