More Green manure dilemmas

• 2 Replies

Pablo

« on: October 09, 2006, 17:11 »
Sorry,here's another dumb question: I keep reading that i shouldn't sow green manure where i'm going to put roots next spring.But i also keep reading that i shouldn't leave any beds left uncovered for more than six weeks.What should i do? Cover it with straw? If anyone could be bothered,a list of which veg should be preceded by which Green manure would be great.It's like the Krypton Factor trying to work out what goes with what! Thanks in advance
pablo
Brighton,East Sussex
Vegan Organic

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 17:55 »
I've only heard that you shouldn't do green manures where you have to sow things directly or use small seeds to sow directly as something in the decaying process inhibits seed germination. I think if you leave it a bit longer than the 6 weeks before planting, you might be okay.
I grew rather nice root veg so far and we didn't greenmanure over last winter so I guess the nutrient leach isn't so bad where we are even though we're on a slope.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Dragonfly

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 20:25 »
Hi Pablo

I am a newcomer to this forum, allotments and green manure although I have gardened for quite a few years.  My slant on this issue is that green manure has so many benefits, ground cover, nutrient storage, additional organic material when dug in and weed suppression that it must be worth doing.

I intend digging in my green manure crops in March, and they will be passed any detrimental stage by the time I come to sow small seed 4-6 weeks later. 2-4 weeks appears to be the general recommendation for rotting without any retardation of germination.

I only sowed my mustard crop late September and Tares this week  - all later than the recommendations - but the weather has so warm.  The mustard is romping away and certainly looks better than bare earth.

Dragonfly

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.